ELON, N.C. – The Elon University men’s tennis team concluded its regular season with a 7-0 victory against James Madison on Friday, April 23.
“It was a great effort by our guys against a good JMU team,” said head coach Michael Leonard. “I was happy to see Akram play well in singles on his senior day. He has been a great addition to our program. I think we’re starting to play our best tennis here at the end of the season and we’re looking forward to the conference tournament.”
-Akram El Sallaly clinched the match for the Phoenix with a 7-6, 6-2 victory over Alvaro Arce in No. 2 singles.
-Kyle Frankel earned his 13th singles victory of the season by defeating Holden Koons 7-6, 4-6, 10-5 in the No. 1 position.
-In the No. 3 spot, Nicholas Condos defeated Oscar Hernandez 6-2, 6-2 for his second consecutive singles win.
-Camilo Ponce posted a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Paul Mendoza, improving his record in the No. 4 position to 7-2.
-Nicholas Campbell outlasted William Karpinski in the No. 5 spot (1-6, 6-3, 7-5), improving to 9-1 on the season.
-Chung-Han Tsai delivered a 6-2, 6-3 win over Mario Pena in the No. 6 spot.
-Frankel and Ponce clinched the doubles point for the maroon and gold with a 6-4 win over Arce and Hernandez in the No. 2 spot. Frankel and Ponce are now 6-0 as a pairing this season.
-Condos and Campbell earned their second consecutive win as a duo, beating Karpinski and Gonzalo Adis 6-4 in the No. 3 position.
-With the win, Elon improves to 14-5 on the season.
The Phoenix will compete in the CAA Tournament beginning on April 29 in Williamsburg, Va.
1. Holden Koons / Paul Mendoza (JMU) def. Chung-Han Tsai / Akram El Sallaly (ELON) 6-3
2. Camilo Ponce / Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Alvaro Arce / Oscar Hernandez (JMU) 6-4
3. Nicholas Condos / Nicholas Campbell (ELON) def. Gonzalo Adis / William Karpinski (JMU) 6-4
1. Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Holden Koons (JMU) 7-6, 4-6, 10-5
2. Akram El Sallaly (ELON) def. Alvaro Arce (JMU) 7-6, 6-2
3. Nicholas Condos (ELON) def. Oscar Hernandez (JMU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Paul Mendoza (JMU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Nicholas Campbell (ELON) def. William Karpinski (JMU) 1-6, 6-3, 7-5
6. Chung-Han Tsai (ELON) def. Mario Pena (JMU) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: Doubles: (3, 1, 2); Singles: (6, 3, 2, 4, 1, 5)