WILLIAMSBURG, Va. – Elon University men’s tennis defeated seventh-seeded Drexel, 4-0, in the quarterfinals of the 2021 CAA Men’s Tennis Tournament on Friday, April 30.
“I thought it was a good first match of the tournament,” head coach Michael Leonard began. “I thought Drexel played well, especially early on in the match. It was good to see our experience come through and we’re looking forward to the match tomorrow.”
– Kyle Frankel clinched the match for the Phoenix with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Youssef Lahlou in No. 1 singles. The win moved Frankel to 14-1 in singles play this season and extended his winning streak to six matches.
– Chung-Han Tsai got things rolling for Elon, taking down Matvey Radionov in straight sets 6-0, 6-2. Tsai earned his fourth consecutive win in the match and now has an 8-6 overall record this year.
– Camilo Ponce gave the Phoenix a 3-0 advantage with his 6-2, 6-0 win over Hugo Brungs. Ponce improved to 12-5 with the win and now boasts an 8-2 record in the No. 4 slot.
-Frankel and Ponce clinched the doubles point for the maroon and gold with a 6-2 win against Youssef Lahlou and Gustav Wogen in the No. 2 spot. Frankel and Ponce are now 7-0 as a pairing this season.
-Condos and Campbell earned their third consecutive win as a duo, beating Alvaro Cruz Chamorro and Matvey Radionov 6-4 in the No. 3 position.
-With the win, Elon improves to 15-5 on the season.
The Phoenix returns to action tomorrow, April 30, for a 3 p.m. matchup with the winner of No. 3 William & Mary versus No. 6 Charleston in the CAA Semifinals.
1. Chung-Han Tsai / Akram El Sallaly (ELON) vs. Sanil Jagtiani / Djordje Janakovic (DREXEL) 4-5, unfinished
2. Camilo Ponce / Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Youssef Lahlou / Gustav Wogen (DREXEL) 6-2
3. Nicholas Condos / Nicholas Campbell (ELON) def. Alvaro Cruz Chamorro / Matvey Radionov (DREXEL) 6-4
1. Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Youssef Lahlou (DREXEL) 6-1, 6-3
2. Akram El Sallaly (ELON) vs. Sanil Jagtiani (DREXEL) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
3. Nicholas Condos (ELON) vs. Gustav Wogen (DREXEL) 6-7 (5-7), 2-1, unfinished
4. Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Hugo Brungs (DREXEL) 6-2, 6-0
5. Chung-Han Tsai (ELON) def. Matvey Radionov (DREXEL) 6-0, 6-2
6. Jacob Bicknell (ELON) vs. Djordje Janakovic (DREXEL) 3-6, 4-4, unfinished
Order of Finish: Doubles: (3, 2); Singles: (5, 4, 1)