VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – The Guilford men’s tennis season came to a close on Thursday, May 6th with a 5-2 setback to Virginia Wesleyan in the ODAC Semifinals which took place in Virginia Beach, Va.
Guilford (9-3) fell behind early when Anthony Wilson and Henry West came through with an 8-4 victory over Drake Schreiber and Jay Montague in the No. 2 doubles clash. The Marlins quickly earned their second point of the match after Michael Portera and Connor Cummings posted an 8-6 decision over Tim Thompson and Tye Sasser.
Virginia Wesleyan ran its lead to 3-0 after sweeping doubles action when Mitchell Perry and Felix Bevc fought past Joe Horne and Elijah Gregory by an 8-7 (8-6) margin. Guilford trimmed the lead to 3-1 when Drew Clark posted a 6-0, 6-0 victory in No. 6 singles over Cummings.
Virginia Wesleyan (10-10) responded with a 6-2, 6-3 victory in No. 5 singles when Portera defeated Domonik Pocrnja. Guilford claimed its second point of the match in No. 3 singles by virtue of Drake Schreiber’s 6-3, 6-2 win over Wilson.
Trailing 4-2 in the match, Gregory was unable to fight past Bevc, who emerged with a 6-2, 6-1 victory in No. 2 singles for the decisive Marlins point.
Virginia Wesleyan University 5, Guilford Quakers 2
1. Mitchell Perry (VWUM) vs. Joe Horne (GUILM) 6-4, 1-2, unfinished
2. Felix Bevc (VWUM) def. Elijah Gregory (GUILM) 6-2, 6-1
3. Drake Schreiber (GUILM) def. Anthony Wilson (VWUM) 6-3, 6-2
4. Henry West (VWUM) vs. Jay Montague (GUILM) 3-6, 2-4, unfinished
5. Michael Portera (VWUM) def. Dominik Pocrnja (GUILM) 6-2, 6-3
6. Drew Clark (GUILM) def. Connor Cummings (VWUM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Mitchell Perry/Felix Bevc (VWUM) def. Joe Horne/Elijah Gregory (GUILM) 8-7 (8-6)
2. Anthony Wilson/Henry West (VWUM) def. Drake Schreiber/Jay Montague (GUILM) 8-4
3. Michael Portera/Connor Cummings (VWUM) def. Tim Thompson/Tye Sasser (GUILM) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,5,3,2)