ELON, N.C. – Three members of the Elon University women’s track and field team will venture to Jacksonville, Fla., as Maria Ahm, Melissa Anastasakis and Scolasticah Kemei are set to represent the Phoenix at the NCAA Division I East Preliminaries on May 26-29 at Hodges Stadium on the campus of North Florida.
Live Results | Watch (Thursday) | Watch (Saturday)
• Updates of the four-day meet will be posted on the team’s social media pages on Twitter and Instagram at the handle, @ElonXCTF.
• Live results will be provided and can be found on the program’s schedule page at elonphoenix.com along with a recap and results after the meet.
• The meet will be streamed through North Florida’s athletic website at unfospreys.com.
• The 2021 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships begin this week at two preliminary sites (West Region in College Station, Texas; East Region in Jacksonville, Fla.).
• Each region features the top 48 accepted athletes in each event, with the exception of the relays (top 24 teams).
• The men will compete on Wednesday and Friday, while the women will compete on Thursday and Saturday.
• The top 12 finishers from each event at the two preliminary sites will advance to the final site of the NCAA Outdoor Championships at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore., on June 9-12.
Elon Qualifiers Schedule of Events
Thursday, May 27
• 6:30 p.m. – 1,500-meters, first round (Melissa Anastasakis)
• 9:10 p.m. – 10,000-meters, semifinals (Maria Ahm)
Saturday, May 29
• 5:45 p.m. – 1,500-meters, quarterfinals
• 8:30 p.m. – 5,000-meters, semifinals (Scolasticah Kemei)
How we Got Here
• Ahm comes into the regional meet as the highest-ranking Phoenix athlete in her event, sitting at No. 18 in the 10,000-meters. Ahm qualified for the East prelims after setting racing a school-record time of 33:43.82 at the Raleigh Relays earlier this season.
• Kemei qualified for the East region in the 5,000-meters, ranking No. 29 on the NCAA East performance list. The Eldoret, Kenya, native set a school-record time of 16:06.55 in the race at the Trials of Miles Night at the Track in Jersey City, N.J.
• Anastasakis returns for her second trip to the NCAA prelims in the 1,500-meters. The Hillsdale, Ontario, native ranks No. 36 in the region after coming into the meet with her season-best time of 4:21.33 that she ran at the Raleigh Relays.
The NCAA Outdoor Championships will take place in Eugene, Ore., at the historic Hayward Field on June 9-12 for any athlete that qualifies past the preliminary round.