Tom Brady linked to the Las Vegas Raiders ownership
from Eric Smithling, with YardBarker.com/www.yardbarker.com
Tom Brady owned the Raiders as a player, so it makes sense he’d finally want some equity.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Seth Wickersham report the seven-time Super Bowl champion “is in deep discussions to become a limited partner of the Las Vegas Raiders.”
In six regular-season starts against the Raiders during his career, Brady was 5-1 and averaged 274.5 yards and two touchdowns per game while never throwing an interception. (h/t StatMuse)
His most famous win against the franchise, however, came in the infamous “Tuck Rule” game in the playoffs on Jan. 19, 2002.
On This Date: In 2002, it looked like Tom Brady fumbled it … but the Tuck Rule changed everything. pic.twitter.com/lhUgB4qKzM
— ESPN (@espn) January 19, 2019
That win kickstarted Brady’s playoff reign while the Raiders only have two playoff wins since then and none since 2003.
In ESPN’s report. Schefter and Fowler state that Brady’s potential foray into NFL ownership won’t have an impact on the 10-year, $375 million broadcasting contract he signed with Fox Sports last year and is expected to begin cashing in on in 2024.
“A source told ESPN that Fox has ‘blessed’ the arrangement,” according to Schefter and Wickersham. They went on to explain, “League policy about team ownership overlapping with media employment only comes into play only if the owner holds a position of authority at the media company and could impact broadcast rights negotiations.”
As much speculation as there’s been over whether Brady is truly retired or not, doubt has also centered around if Brady will ever join the broadcasting booth.
The New York Post’s Andrew Marchand reported earlier this month that based on conversations he’s had, “I kind of feel like I’m going more 49 percent chance he does it, 51 percent chance he doesn’t.” In response, Brady called the assumption “fake news.”
Nothing in ESPN’s report suggests Brady is trying to find a way out of his Fox deal. As for him potentially getting an ownership stake and then deciding to play? “Even if he wanted to, owners would have to approve his dual role,” write Schefter and Wickersham.
They also note how many former Patriots players and staff members are with the Raiders, which would make a Brady addition something resembling a reunion.
Head coach Josh McDaniels, general manager Dave Ziegler and players such as Jimmy Garoppolo, Brian Hoyer and Jakobi Meyers made the move west after spending time in the Patriots organization.
Brady left the flock but could find himself right at home as a Raiders minority owner. For the franchise’s fans, there might be some conflicting feelings. Adding Brady two decades after he broke their hearts in the controversial “Tuck Rule” game would be like if the late, great Steelers running back Franco Harris became a part-time owner in 1992, twenty years after the “Immaculate Reception.”
It might not feel right, but for the Raiders, it beats Brady coming out of retirement to prove again that he already owns the franchise.