The Pizza Hut Basketball Tournament is coming to the Greensboro Coliseum Special Events Center at the end of this year, right around late December/early January and it’s not to soon to be thinking about getting your tickets and if you are going to get your tickets, then you have to wonder who the top seeds will be and how all the teams will stack up……
The official seedings and pairings will come out on Tuesday November 10 and until then, we need to speculate and sort out the obvious and see who might be set to win this tournament this year and if an upset is in the makings.
Can anyone climb and cross over the “Great Wall/Fence of GDS”? The Greensboro Day School boys have put a Smackdown/Lockdown on this tournament and they have to be the odds-on favorites to win it again.
Can anyone upset the Bengal boys????? Who will be the #2 seed and have their map drawn up for a road that would send them to the finals versus the Bengals? Northern returns Frye, Berry and McBeth and there’s talk that Maurice Harris and Keenan Allen have an interest in joining the team this year. I’m no genius, but I can take that five and beat your five, four-out-of-five times, I don’t care who you are, or who you have………
This season could get interesting……How do you see these teams stacking up for the tournament? Let’s look at the boys from last year, and then this year, and do the same for the girls…..Just some thoughts!
Boy’s Pizza Hut Tournament 2008/2009 Seeds:
1) Greensboro Day School
3) Northern Guilford
6) Northeast Guilford
7) Northwest Guilford
1) Greensboro Day School(Sponsored by the Target Stores, they’ve got one on the front and back of their uniforms.)
2) Northwest Guilford(This is what I am hearing with Vebber and Coble and company….)
3) Grimsley(Whirlies have PG Burle Brown, SG Carter Gourley, SF Lee Sweeny and supporting cast returning. Big loss in Keith Manley.)
4) Northern Guilford(With Frye many think this team can still contend.)
5) Ragsdale(With Tyquan Roberts coming back they will have a force that can play and with Benija Wise at point, there’s your quickness.)
6) Northeast Guilford(Don’t know anything about this team except Antwan Wilkerson left for Western Guilford and if Bryce Benjamin is still a Ram, he is among the best players in the state.)
7)Page(Lost Brooks, Weethe, Finney, Oates, Knight and other key guards. Will have Kent, Eaves and Spain coming back in from last year.)
8 Smith(Don’t know much at all about these guys, but the football team showed much improvement and maybe Eric Ebron can do it over here too.)
Any word from the Jury?????
Girl’s Pizza Hut Tournament 2008/2009 Seeds:
1) Northwest Guilford
5) Northeast Guilford
6) Northern Guilford
8 Greensboro Day School
1) Northwest Guilford(Bennett, Floures, McIntosh)
2) Smith(Very athletic, physical and quick. Watch Wilkerson.)
3) Northern Guilford(Coffer and Tessitore, guard play will be crucial.)
4) Page(Solid returning cast with Pickard, Drew and Oakley.)
5) Grimsley(Whole new scenario for the Whirlies, with new coach and Lanham went to Western we hear….)
6) Ragsdale(Lost McInnis, Arrington and Archie, but still have a steady core unit with a veteran coach.)
7) Northeast Guilford(Unknown commodity, but if the young coach Brandon Apple is still there, they always have a chance…)
8 Greensboro Day School(Are getting better, but how much polish is on the apple here. Is it team improvement or individual improvement?)
Let’s hear it from the Jury????????