UNC Greensboro will try to get back in the win column when it hosts Charleston Southern tonight at 7pm in the Fleming Gym. The Spartans(1-4) won their season-opener but have lost four straight games since then, while CSU brings a 3-3 mark into the contest.
– Tuesday’s game is the first between UNCG and Charleston Southern since the 1996-97 season, the Spartans’ last in the Big South Conference. The squads were Big South foes for five seasons (1992-97) until UNCG left for the Southern Conference. The Spartans are 14-0 all-time against the Buccaneers.
– UNCG fell 80-51 at Bowling Green on Friday, with junior Kendra Smith leading UNCG with 12 points. Amanda Leigh just missed double figures with nine points on three 3-pointers, while Agne Girstautaite had seven points and nine rebounds. Leigh tied her career high with five assists, with four of them coming on UNCG’s first four buckets of the game.
– Charleston Southern dropped a 76-67 decision at No. 4 North Carolina on Sunday, putting a scare into the Tar Heels by connecting on 17 3-point baskets to keep the game close.
– Charleston Southern freshman point guard Helen Terry is a Greensboro native who went to Dudley High School. She was the MVP of the state championship game after leading Dudley to the AAA state title in 2009.
– The Bucs have three players averaging double figures on the season, with Katie Tull leading the way with 18.2 points per game. Kelsey Wasmer is averaging 14.2, while Terry is scoring 11.7.