ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Men’s Basketball (4-2)
Elon at Georgia Southern, Wednesday, Nov. 28, at 7 p.m., Statesboro, Ga.
Elon vs. College of Charleston, Saturday, Dec. 1, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon opens its Southern Conference slate on Wednesday when it heads to Statesboro, Ga., to take on the Georgia Southern Eagles.
• The Phoenix posted a win over South Carolina on Nov. 21 in Columbia, S.C., for its second-straight victory over the Gamecocks. Elon led South Carolina by double digits for most of the game, holding USC without a field goal make over the game’s final 7:02.
• Elon returns home on Dec. 1 for its conference home opener versus College of Charleston.
Track and Field
Elon at Liberty Kickoff, Friday, Nov. 30, Lynchburg, Va.
• For the seventh consecutive year, the Elon women’s track and field program opens its indoor season at the Liberty Kickoff this weekend.
• The maroon and gold won two titles in the 2011 Liberty Kickoff, sweeping the podium in the 400-meter dash and claiming the 4×400 relay for the second consecutive year.
• The program is entering its 13th year of existence after claiming fifth place honors in the Southern Conference Indoor Championships last season. Head coach Mark Elliston is entering his seventh year at the helm of the Phoenix program.
Women’s Basketball (2-2)
Elon vs. College of Charleston, Saturday, Dec. 1, at 2 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon dropped a heartbreaker to American in Alumni Gym on Saturday by a final of 69-68. Ali Ford led all players with 21 points and also dished out six assists. Kelsey Evans recorded her third straight double-double with a season-high 20 points and 11 boards.
• Evans is one point shy of becoming the 19th player in program history to reach the 1,000th career point milestone.
• The Phoenix opens up Southern Conference play on Saturday with a game against College of Charleston. Elon won both meetings last season by a nine point average margin of victory.