ELON, N.C. – Every week, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Baseball (11-8, 5-4 SoCon)
Elon vs. Princeton, Wednesday, March 20, at 2 p.m., Latham Park
Elon at Western Carolina, Friday-Sunday, March 22-24, at 5/2/1 p.m., Cullowhee, N.C.
• Elon has won four straight games after picking up a win over Virginia Tech and sweeping UNCG. The Phoenix has now won six straight over the Spartans.
• Senior Alex Swim has moved into fifth place on the program’s career hits chart. He now has 243 career hits and passed both Drew Davis (240) and Jason Tuttle (242) this weekend. Last week, Swim was named to the watch list for the Johnny Bench Award, which is presented annually to the best catcher at the NCAA Division I level.
• The maroon and gold will play its lone home game of the week on Wednesday when the Princeton Tigers visit Latham Park. Elon will then hit the road for another SoCon set, as the Phoenix plays at Western Carolina this weekend.
Men’s Basketball (21-11)
CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT)
Elon at Canisius, Wednesday, March 20, at 7 p.m., Buffalo, N.Y.
• The Phoenix will continue its 2012-13 on Wednesday night when it heads to Buffalo, N.Y., to face the Canisius College Golden Griffins in the first round of the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT).
• The CIT marks Elon’s first postseason appearance at the Division I level and only the ninth overall in 104 years of basketball. Elon’s last postseason appearance was during the 1996-97 season.
• With a win, Elon would advance to the second round of the CIT which will take place March 21-23 at campus sites. Teams are reseeded in the second round and Elon’s potential opponent is still TBD.
Men’s Tennis (8-4, 4-0 SoCon)
Elon vs. Dartmouth, Wednesday, March 20, at 3 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
Elon at Chattanooga, Saturday, March 23, at 10 a.m., Chattanooga, Tenn.
Elon at Samford, Sunday, March 24, at 9:30 a.m., Birmingham, Ala.
• The Phoenix has three matches against Dartmouth, Chattanooga and Samford slated for this week.
• Elon has won four straight matches and remains unbeaten in Southern Conference play at 4-0.
• Cameron Silverman remains in the ITA national singles rankings at No. 38, while Silverman and Stefan Fortmann rank 34th in the nation as a doubles team.
Softball 10-11, 1-5 SoCon)
Elon at North Carolina Central, Wednesday, March 20, at 4 p.m., Durham, N.C.
FAU Parents Weekend Tournament
Elon vs. Dartmouth, Saturday, March 23, at 9 a.m., Boca Raton, Fla.
Elon vs. Iowa State, Saturday, March 23, at 1 p.m., Boca Raton, Fla.
Elon vs. Florida Atlantic, Sunday, March 24, at 11:15 a.m., Boca Raton, Fla.
Elon vs. Bethune-Cookman, Sunday, March 24, at 1:30 p.m., Boca Raton, Fla.
• The Elon softball team won its first Southern Conference game on Sunday, March 17, at College of Charleston, 5-4.
• Tomeka Watson is seven hits away from tying the program’s all-time hits record. The senior outfielder has 222 hits in her career and is looking to tie Dani Concepcion (2002-05) record of 229 hits this weekend. The Jackson, Ga., native also recently had a 16-game hit streak, the longest of her career.
• The Phoenix will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., for its second road tournament of the season at the Florida Atlantic University Parents Weekend Tournament on March 23-24. Elon will face the field of Dartmouth, Iowa State, Bethune-Cookman and host FAU in the two-day tournament.
Women’s Basketball (18-13)
Women’s Basketball Invitational (WBI)
#4 Elon vs. #5 Eastern Kentucky, Wednesday, March 20, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon will make its second postseason appearance in the last three years in the Women’s Basketball Invitational (WBI) when it hosts Eastern Kentucky in Alumni Gym on Wednesday.
• The Phoenix made its first postseason appearance at the Division I level in 2011 when it participated in the Women’s Basketball Invitational. The maroon and gold won its first-round matchup over USC Upstate before falling to eventual champion UAB in the quarterfinals.
• Seniors Ali Ford and Kelsey Evans are very close to reaching huge career milestones. Ford is seven points shy of reaching 2,000-career points, while Evans needs 13 rebounds to reach 1,000 for her career.
Women’s Tennis (12-3, 2-2 SoCon)
Elon vs. Davidson, Wednesday, March 20, at 4 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
• Elon plays its last home match until April 11 on Wednesday when the Phoenix hosts instate foe Davidson at 4 p.m.
• The Phoenix ranks 73rd in the nation in the recent ITA Women’s Tennis National Rankings.
• Bryn Khoury has a team-best 14 wins already this season in singles action, while Elon’s No. 1 doubles team of Jordan Johnston and Frida Jansaker have an overall mark of 13-2 this year.