ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Baseball (17-11, 10-5 SoCon)
Elon vs. High Point, Tuesday, April 2, at 6:30 p.m., Latham Park
Elon at NC State, Wednesday, April 3, at 6 p.m., Raleigh, N.C.
Elon at The Citadel, Friday-Sunday, April 5-7, at 6/2/1 p.m., Charleston, S.C.
• Elon swept Davidson over the weekend and has now won eight of its last nine Southern Conference games.
• With his performance over the weekend, senior catcher Alex Swim has moved into third place on the program’s all-time hits chart. Swim now has 253 career hits.
• The Phoenix will look to avenge last week’s lost at High Point when it hosts the Panthers on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. Elon will then try to complete the season series sweep of NC State by traveling to Raleigh for a 6 p.m. game on Wednesday.
#72 Men’s Tennis (13-5, 6-0 SoCon)
Elon at UNCG, Thursday, April 4, at 2 p.m., Greensboro, N.C.
Elon vs. College of Charleston, Saturday, April 6, at 12 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
Elon vs. Georgia Southern, Sunday, April 7, at 1 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
• The Elon men’s tennis team returns to Southern Conference play this week with three matches, including two this weekend at home against College of Charleston on Saturday and Georgia Southern on Sunday.
• The Phoenix went 2-1 at the Middle Tennessee State University Shootout last weekend, finishing third in the eight-team field. Elon posted a pair of wins against Florida Atlantic (4-2) and South Alabama (4-3).
• Cameron Silverman remains in the ITA national rankings at No. 45 in singles, while he and Stefan Fortmann rank 34th in the nation in doubles. As a team, Elon ranks 72nd in the nation.
Softball (12-19, 2-7 SoCon)
Elon vs. Longwood (DH), Tuesday, April 2 at 4/6 p.m., Hunt Softball Park
Elon at Appalachian State, Saturday-Sunday, April 6-7 at 1/3/1 p.m., Boone, N.C.
• Elon split its doubleheader on Saturday, March 30, versus UNCG. The Phoenix won game one, 8-5, against the Spartans.
• Tomeka Watson became the program’s all-time leader for career hits on Friday, breaking a tie with Dani Concepcion (2002-05). The Jackson, Ga., native hit her 230th career base hit versus the Spartans and has 40 on the season.
• Watson needs only three RBI to move past Debbie Zeigler (2005-08) on the all-time record list. Watson has 120 RBI in her four-year career at Elon.
Track and Field
Elon at Liberty Collegiate Invitational, Friday-Saturday, April 5-6, Lynchburg, Va.
Elon at Duke Invitational, Friday-Saturday, April 5-6, Durham, N.C.
• The Phoenix will have a group of athletes compete at the Liberty Collegiate Invitational, while other selected members of the squad will race at the Duke Invitational.
• Elon and its distance members competed at the Raleigh Relays last weekend, March 29-30, at NC State.
• Haylee Dawe and Allyson Oram broke school records at the Raleigh Relays in the 10,000-meters and 5,000-meters, respectively. Dawe ran a time of 36:15.16 to beat the previous mark by nearly 15 seconds. Oram finished under the 17-minute barrier with a time of 16:59.38, beating her former school-record time of 17:04.29.
Elon at UNCW Seahawk Classic, April 6-7, Wallace, N.C.
• After returning from its trip to England and Scotland over Spring Break, the Elon women’s golf team will wrap up its regular season by playing in the UNCW Seahawk Classic on Saturday and Sunday.
• In its last event, the Phoenix finished ninth out of 17 teams at the JMU/Eagle Landing Invitational. At that tournament, senior Martyna Mierzwa tied for ninth out of 97 players.
#68 Women’s Tennis (15-3, 5-2 SoCon)
Elon at Wofford, Saturday, April 6, at 11 a.m., Spartanburg, S.C.
Elon at Furman, Sunday, April 7, at 12 p.m., Greenville, S.C.
• The Phoenix closes out a four-match road swing this weekend at Wofford and Furman.
• Elon came up with a big win on March 27, topping College of Charleston, 5-2. The win over the Cougars marked the first for the Phoenix at the Division I level.
• Elon remains in the ITA national rankings at No. 68 as a team.