FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – Methodist University’s men’s tennis team claimed a 9-0 home win over visiting Guilford College Wednesday.
The Monarchs, ranked 11th in the March 28 NCAA Division III Atlantic South Region Rankings, improved to 16-0 on the year. Guilford dropped to 5-6 with the loss.
Methodist jumped out to a 3-0 lead by sweeping the three doubles matches. The Monarchs lost just three points in doubles and the number-two tandem of Greg Patterson and Robert Clayton posted an 8-0 shutout.
Guilford’s Turner Votipka battled Duncan Miller to three sets before Miller prevailed, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2. The first-singles match was the closest of the day as the Monarchs claimed the remaining five singles tilts in straight sets.
Coach Dave McCain’s team visits Bluefield College Saturday (4/6) at 1:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Methodist
Apr 03, 2013 at Fayetteville, N.C.
Methodist 9, Guilford 0
1. Duncan Miller (MU) def. Turner Votipka (GC) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
2. Taylor Buchholz (MU) def. Trevor Cox (GC) 6-0, 6-3
3. Greg Patterson (MU) def. Erik Meiler (GC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Teal Howard (MU) def. Mark Cheong (GC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Dillon Sullivan (MU) def. John Brvenik (GC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Lawrence Salmon (MU) def. Blake Brown (GC) 6-2, 6-1
1. Duncan Miller/Taylor Buchholz (MU) def. Trevor Cox/Turner Votipka (GC) 8-1
2. Greg Patterson/Robert Clayton (MU) def. Erik Meiler/Blake Brown (GC) 8-0
3. Lawrence Salmon/Dillon Sullivan (MU) def. Byron Hamilton/Mark Cheong (GC) 8-2
Methodist 16-0; Regional ranking #11
Methodist is ranked 11th in the March 28 Division III Men’s Atlantic South Region Rankings