FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – Methodist University claimed a 9-0 women’s tennis win over visiting Guilford College Wednesday.
The Monarchs (14-2), ranked ninth in the March 28 NCAA Division III Atlantic South Region Rankings, jumped to a 3-0 lead by sweeping the doubles matches. The day’s closest match came at third doubles where Methodist’s Emily Talley and Rachel Purser edged Guilford’s Fernanda Gonzalez and Allison Hewitt, 8-6.
Katherine Meindl posted a 6-1, 6-3 victory at first singles over Guilford’s Haley Andrews. The Monarchs did not lose a point in straight-set wins at third, fourth and fifth singles.
Guilford (5-5) visits Bluefield College Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Methodist
Apr 03, 2013 at Fayetteville, N.C.
Methodist 9, Guilford 0
1. Katherine Meindl (MU) def. Haley Andrews (GC) 6-1, 6-3
2. Laura Baker (MU) def. Natalie Sutton (GC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Isabella Graf (MU) def. Kim Kleimeier (GC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Kelli Shelton (MU) def. Allison Hewitt (GC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Rachel Purser (MU) def. Allie Guy (GC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Hillary Petruska (MU) def. Fernanda Gonzalez (GC) 6-0, 6-2
1. Laura Baker/Katherine Meindl (MU) def. Allie Guy/Haley Andrews (GC) 8-0
2. Hillary Petruska/Isabella Graf (MU) def. Kim Kleimeier/Natalie Sutton (GC) 8-3
3. Emily Talley/Rachel Purser (MU) def. Fernanda Gonzalez/Allison Hewitt (GC) 8-6
Methodist 14-2; Regional ranking #9
Methodist is ranked 9th in the March 28 Division III Women’s Atlantic SouthRegion Rankings.