GREENSBORO, N.C. – Guilford College’s men’s tennis team won for the seventh time in eight matches with an 8-1 victory over crosstown-rival Greensboro College Friday. Despite a singles lineup comprised largely of reserves, the Quakers (9-4) won for the ninth time in their last 11 contests.
Guilford used its regular doubles lineup to sweep the three doubles points. The top tandem of Erik Meiler and Turner Votipka pulled out an 8-6 win over the Pride’s Kyle Gati and Zach Passman. The Quakers’ second- and third-doubles tandems both claimed 8-0 victories.
Votipka, Guilford’s lone singles’ regular, downed Passman in the first flight, 6-1, 6-2, and was the match’s lone two-time winner.
Gati scored Greensboro’s lone point with a 6-3, 3-6, 10-4 win over Guilford freshman Mesa Martorell. The Pride’s record is now 1-9.
Coach Dave McCain’s Quakers visit Randolph College Saturday (4/10) at 1:00 p.m. in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest.
Tennis Match Results
Greensboro vs Guilford
Apr 10, 2015 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Guilford 8, Greensboro 1
1. Turner Votipka (GC) def. Zach Passman (GBRO) 6-1, 6-2
2. Kyle Gati (GBRO) def. Mesa Martorell (GC) 6-3, 3-6, 10-4
3. John Brvenik (GC) def. Ian Weiner (GBRO) 6-3, 6-1
4. Chasen Chacon (GC) def. Adam Morgan (GBRO) 6-2, 6-2
5. Hilton Bilbrey (GC) def. Justin Kimball (GBRO) 6-3, 6-1
6. Ben Levin (GC) def. Chris Grissom (GBRO) 6-0, 6-0
1. Turner Votipka/Erik Meiler (GC) def. Kyle Gati/Zach Passman (GBRO) 8-6
2. Aaron Smedley/Trevor Cox (GC) def. Ian Weiner/Justin Kimball (GBRO) 8-0
3. Levi Bruff/Mason Church (GC) def. Chris Grissom/Adam Morgan (GBRO) 8-0