ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon Invitational, Saturday, Sept. 12, at 10 a.m., Elon Cross Country Course
• The Phoenix hosts its second meet of the year with the seventh annual Elon Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 12. The Women’s 5K race starts at 10 a.m. followed by the men’s 8K run at 10:45 a.m.
• The maroon and gold opened the 2015 season last Friday, Sept. 4, with the Elon Open and welcomed Wake Forest, High Point and UNCG to campus.
• Rookie Nick Ciolkowski won the men’s 6K race for the Phoenix with a time of 18:33, just edging out a pair of conference champions from Wake Forest and High Point.
• On the women’s side, junior Shelby Cuddeback was the runner-up in the 4K race with her time of 14:48.
• The Phoenix men’s and women’s teams have swept the field in the last two meets at the Elon Invitational.
Elon Football Live Radio Show, Wednesday, Sept. 9, at 7 p.m., The Fat Frogg
Elon at Gardner-Webb, Saturday, Sept. 12, at 6 p.m., Boiling Springs, N.C.
• In its opener at Wake Forest, Elon played 12 true freshmen, including three who earned the start.
• Sophomore safety Chris Blair led all players with 13 total tackles, including 11 solo stops, against Wake Forest. It was his fifth career double-digit tackle performance.
• The second week of the Elon Football Live radio show will be broadcast on Wednesday night from 7-8 p.m. on WSML 104.5 FM and 1200 AM as well as at elonphoenix.com. Fans are encouraged to come out to The Fat Frogg in Elon to catch the show live.
• Elon will face off with former South Atlantic Conference and Big South Conference football rival Gardner-Webb on Saturday evening. The two have played 29 times with the maroon and gold owning a 20-9 lead in the all-time series. Elon and GWU last met in 2002 with the Runnin’ Bulldogs claiming a 38-27 victory in Boiling Springs.
Golfweek Program Challenge, Sept. 6 – 8, at True Blue Golf Club, Myrtle Beach, S.C.
• Elon posted a first round total of 284 to sit in a tie for sixth place at the Golfweek Program Challenge played at True Blue Golf Club.
• Jonathan DiIanni carded a 3-under-par round of 69 – the best round of any Phoenix player – to help Elon to the sixth position out of 18 teams.
• Philip Loeb and Charlie May also shot rounds under par as Loeb posted a round of 70, while May carded a 71. Both Loeb and May enter the second round in the top 25 as individuals.
Men’s Soccer (4-0)
Elon vs. Davidson, Saturday, Sept. 12, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
• The Phoenix carries its unbeaten start into its home opener on Saturday, Sept. 12, against former conference foe and in-state rival Davidson.
• Elon earned two victories last weekend at the UNCW Courtyard at Marriott Wrightsville Beach Classic to improve to 4-0. The Phoenix opened the tournament with a 2-0 win over Campbell before closing out the weekend with a 5-2 defeat of North Florida.
• The 4-0 start for the Phoenix is its best since the 2006 season when Elon also started the year 4-0.
• Seniors Caue Da Silva, James Brace and Miguel Salazar each earned a spot on the All-Tournament team this past weekend at UNCW.
• Last Monday, redshirt freshman goalkeeper Matthew Jegier was named the Colonial Athletic Association Rookie of the Week. The Charlotte, N.C., native had seven saves and two clean sheets the previous week at the John Rennie/Nike Invitational in Durham, N.C.
Elon vs. Davidson, Tuesday, Sept. 8, at 8 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Loyola, Friday, Sept. 11, at 10 a.m., Valparaiso, Ind.
Elon at Valparaiso, Friday, Sept. 11, at 7 p.m., Valparaiso, Ind.
Elon vs. Kennesaw State, Saturday, Sept. 12, at 9 a.m., Valparaiso, Ind.
Elon vs. Savannah State, Saturday, Sept. 12, at 4:30 p.m., Valparaiso, Ind.
• The Phoenix picked up its first win of the season last week with a sweep over North Carolina Central in the Elon Phoenix Classic. In the match, Megan Gravley hit .407 with 12 kills, while Ebony Scott hit .409 with 11 kills. Sydel Curry recorded a new three-set match career high with 32 assists to average an impressive 10.6 assists per set.
• In Elon’s match at High Point on Tuesday, Catherine Head posted a new career-high 10 blocks and continues to be a force at the net for the Phoenix. The senior has 32 total blocks on the season and is averaging 1.19 assists per set.
• Elon hosts a Tuesday matchup against former Southern Conference opponent Davidson before hitting the road for the Popcorn Classic in Valparaiso, Ind., for four matches this weekend. The trip to Valpo will mark a homecoming for senior Ana Nicksic who will play in front of a hometown crowd.
Golfweek Program Challenge, Sept. 6 – 8, at Caledonia Golf Club, Myrtle Beach, S.C.
• The Phoenix carded a score of 297 in the first round of the Golfweek Program Challenge, good for a tie for sixth place out of 18 teams.
• Emily Brooks paced Elon with a 1-over-par round of 72 to put her in a tie for ninth on the individual leaderboard.
• Sunna Vidisdottir and Kelsey Badmaev were also solid for the Phoenix, as the two shot rounds of 73 and 75, respectively. Both enter the second round in the top 25 as individuals.
Women’s Soccer (4-1)
Elon vs. Coastal Carolina, Friday, Sept. 11, at 6 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon at UNCG, Sunday, Sept. 13, at 7 p.m., Greensboro, N.C.
• Elon has won three consecutive matches and posted shutouts in all four of its wins this season.
• The Phoenix has won four of its first five matches of the season for the first time since 2010 when it started 6-1 overall in its first seven. The 2010 team lost its season opener before reeling off six straight wins.
• Kendall Ballotti scored the game-winner in the 84th minute on Friday to lead Elon to a 1-0 win over North Florida.
• Four players found the back of the net, including two scores by Tori Baliatico, in the 5-0 win at South Carolina State on Sunday. Baliatico is the second Elon player to have two goals in a match this season.