ELON, N.C. – Following games against three consecutive top-20 opponents and a bye week, the Elon Phoenix football squad will travel to take on the Stony Brook Seawolves on Saturday, Oct. 31 in a noon game.
The contest will be televised on the American Sports Network with Carl Reuter handling the play-by-play call alongside analyst Brad Jackson. A simulcast of the television broadcast will be available to watch on CAA.TV.
Fans unable to attend the game can also listen to the game on WSML 104.5 FM and 1200 AM or at elonphoenix.com as David Hibbard and Taylor Durham have the call. The radio broadcast will start at 11 a.m. Fans can also listen to all Elon football games via the TuneIn Radio app. This app is free to download to your smartphone.
The contest will be part of CAA Football’s Be The Match Saturday, as the league and organization have joined forces in an effort to raise awareness of the need for bone marrow donors, increase the number of donors in the registry, and ultimately save lives. For more information on how you can help save a life, visit BeTheMatch.org.
ELON VS. STONY BROOK
Elon and Stony Brook have met just three times before. The maroon and gold is 2-1 in those games, including a 1-0 mark at Stony Brook. The two first met at Elon’s Rhodes Stadium in 2007, a 38-23 Phoenix victory. The Seawolves earned their first win in the series last season by downing Elon 20-3 at Rhodes Stadium.
OH CAPTAIN, MY CAPTAIN
The Phoenix football squad elected two captains for the 2015 season. Serving as captain for the second year in a row is senior defensive back Miles Williams. He will be joined by first-year captain, junior linebacker John Silas.
Each week the Phoenix will also name a game-week captain and are listed below:
• at Wake Forest – B.J. Bennett
• at Gardner-Webb – Rob Sullivan
• vs. North Carolina A&T – Corey Mitchell
• vs. Towson – Ikenna Nwokeji
• at New Hampshire – Chris Blair
• at Richmond – Warren Messer
• vs. James Madison – David Petroni
• at Stony Brook – Julius Moore
ELON HEADS TO STONY BROOK OFF OF BYE WEEK
• Elon returns to action after facing three consecutive top-20 opponents and its bye week
• Since 2004, the Phoenix is 6-5 coming off of its bye week
• Elon was just 2-for-15 on third down (and 3-for-3 on fourth down) against the Seawolves in last year’s meeting at Rhodes Stadium
• The maroon and gold fumbled for the first time of the year in last season’s week eight contest against Stony Brook
NOTES FROM LAST GAME
• Zach Duprey set personal bests with three receptions for 54 yards and was one of 11 different Phoenix players to catch a pass against JMU
• Rob Sullivan recorded his sixth sack of the season and ninth of his career to rank fourth and sixth, respectively, on Elon’s FCS record chart
• Corey Mitchell posted his fourth double-digit tackle performance of the year with 16 stops and John Silas added 11 tackles, the 10th double-digit output of his career
• The Phoenix now has 18 sacks in seven games, two shy of its total of 20 from 2014
ELON FOOTBALL PARTNERING WITH KIDSCAN!
The Elon University football program is partnering with the Alamance Regional Charitable Foundation to raise awareness and money for the KidsCan! program that assists children who have a parent with cancer. All funds raised by the Phoenix team through online donations will be used to support the KidsCan! program at the Alamance Regional Medical Center campus.
The KidsCan! program is an educational and peer empathy program for families in which a parent has cancer. This program was started by former NFL players Torry and Terrence Holt, whose mother had cancer. At monthly family dinners, facilitators help kids understand the disease and treatments. They also provide emotional support through activities, arts and crafts, group discussion and music. The program, geared for children aged 6 to 16, is led by professionals within their field of expertise, including activities that make it easy for kids and parents to understand both physically and emotionally.
To support this cause, each Elon football player has a link at the program’s donation page. To donate to a specific player’s goal, click their name on the leaderboard. You will be directed to that player’s page and can make a donation there.