ESTERO, Fla. – The Elon University women’s golf team finds itself just five strokes off the lead and in fifth place overall after the first round of the FGCU Eagle Invitational on Friday, Feb. 12 at Stoneybrook Golf Club.
The reigning Eagle Invitational champions Phoenix, is in sole possession of fifth place after shooting an 18-over (303) first round. Mercer is in first after the opening day with a team score of 13-over par.
Aurelia Hamm and Heather Munro led the way for the Phoenix as they each shot a first-round 76 (+4) in the first round and both are tied for 13th individually. Hamm, a freshman from Cannes, France, is playing in her first tournament as a Phoenix.
Kelsey Badmaev and Sunna Vidisdottir each shot a 5-over round of 77 which is tied for 20th in the individual standings. Emily Brooks opened the first-round with a 79 (+7) after 18 holes.
– The Phoenix, which is ranked 109th by GolfStat, is the fourth-highest ranked team in the field.
– Elon looks to continue its strong play from the fall season. The Phoenix earned three third-place finishes in four events.
– The tournament marks the first of five tournaments that the Phoenix will participate in prior to the Colonial Athletic Association Women’s Golf Championships in April.
The final two rounds of FGCU Eagle Invitational will be played Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 13-14 at Stoneybrook Golf Club.
FGCU Eagle Invitational
February 12-14 | Estero, Fla.
1. Mercer (301) +13
2. Toledo (302) +14
3. FGCU (303) +15
4. Xavier (305) +17
5. Elon (306) +18
T-6. Arkansas State (310) +22
T-6. Southern Illinois (310) +22
8. Ball State (311) +23
9. Drake (313) +25
10. Central Arkansas (314) +26
T-11. Stephen F. Austin (318) +30
T-11. FAU (318) +30
T-11. McNeese (318) +30
14. USC Upstate (329) +41
15. Western Illinois (333) +45
T-13. Aurelia Hamm (76) +4
T-13. Heather Munro (76) +4
T-20. Kelsey Badmaev (77) +5
T-20. Sunna Vidisdottir (77) +5
T-37. Emily Brooks (79) +7