ELON, N.C. – Felipe Sarrasague clinched a Phoenix victory at No. 1 singles and the Elon University men’s tennis team defeated ITA No. 62-ranked William & Mary, 5-2, on Sunday, April 3, at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
In front of a strong home crowd, the Phoenix improved to 14-4 overall with its seventh straight victory and first over a ranked opponent this season. The Tribe falls to 12-6 overall with the loss. After Elon clinched the doubles point, the Phoenix won the first three singles matches to clinch the win over William & Mary.
“It was the most complete match we’ve played this season from the beginning of doubles until the end of singles,” said head coach Michael Leonard. “In the last match we played, we came out a little flat in doubles and we really came out with a lot of energy and play the best we’ve played. William & Mary is a very strong team and it was going to take a great effort from us to beat them.”
The Phoenix took a 1-0 advantage in the match after clinching the doubles point. After Robert Lindgren and Mario Paccini claimed court two 6-1, Petar Tomic and Chris Humphreys clinched the point, also winning 6-1 at No. 1 singles to give Elon the lead. Salvador Mijares and Neal Port dropped a hard fought tiebreak 7-6 (8-6) on court three.
Paccini got things rolling to start singles play, cruising to a 6-1, 6-1 victory over William & Mary’s Addison Appleby at No. 2 to extend Elon’s lead to 2-0 in the match. Tomic continued his winning form in singles action, earning his sixth straight singles win, defeating Aidan Talcott 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 5 position.
With the Phoenix in front 3-0, Sarrasague clinched Elon’s victory over William & Mary with a 7-6 (7-4), 6-1 win against the Tribe’s Christian Cargill. Sarrasague improves to 11-5 in singles play with his seventh straight victory and is now 9-1 overall in his last 10 matches.
Mijares extended a Phoenix lead, 5-0, winning his seventh consecutive singles match with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-0 decision against Lars de Boer at the No. 4 position. The freshman improves his overall singles mark to a team-best 12-3 record.
William & Mary picked up the final two points in singles play as Damon Niquet took court six and Alec Miller picked up a win at No. 5 singles.
– Although the Phoenix faced off against fellow CAA member Towson, the Colonial Athletic Association does not have a conference season, thus the match does not count against a conference record. The match goes down as a non-conference match.
– Elon improved its mark against CAA opponents to 2-0 overall. The Phoenix also defeated James Madison 7-0 on March 18.
The Phoenix continues a five-match homestand on Wedesday, April 6, hosting College of Charleston at 3 p.m. at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
William & Mary vs Elon
Apr 03, 2016 at Elon, N.C.
(Jimmy Powell Tennis Center)
Elon 5, #62 William & Mary 2
1. Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) def. Christian Cargill (WMMT) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
2. Mario Paccini (ELON) def. Addison Appleby (WMMT) 6-1, 6-1
3. Alec Miller (WMMT) def. Robert Lindgren (ELON) 6-3, 3-6, 5-5, retired
4. Salvador Mijares (ELON) def. Lars de Boer (WMMT) 6-1, 3-6, 6-0
5. Petar Tomic (ELON) def. Aidan Talcott (WMMT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Damon Niquet (WMMT) def. Felipe Osses-Konig (ELON) 7-6 (7-0), 6-4
1. Petar Tomic/Chris Humphreys (ELON) def. Ryan Newman/Alec Miller (WMMT) 6-1
2. Mario Paccini/Robert Lindgren (ELON) def. Christian Cargill/Scott Huang (WMMT) 6-1
3. Damon Niquet/Lars de Boer (WMMT) def. Neal Port/Salvador Mijares (ELON) 7-6 (8-6)
William & Mary 12-6; National ranking #62
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,5,1,4,6,3)