ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
John Rennie/Nike Invitational
Elon vs. UNC Asheville, Friday, Aug. 26, at 5 p.m., Durham, N.C.
Elon vs. San Diego, Sunday, Aug. 28, at 12 p.m., Durham, N.C.
• The Phoenix opens the 2016 season at the John Rennie/Nike Invitational hosted by Duke University for the fourth straight year. Elon has posted a 4-1-1 record at the prestigious tournament during that time frame.
• Elon and third-year head coach Chris Little returns 14 letterwinners from a season ago, including three starters. The Phoenix was selected to finish third in the 2016 Colonial Athletic Association Preseason Poll and had four players recognized on the league’s All-Preseason team. Elon is also receiving votes in the 2016 National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Preseason Poll.
• The maroon and gold posted a strong exhibition ledger and went unbeaten with a 2-0-1 record in its three contests. Elon posted a 1-1 draw versus No. 10 Georgetown in its first preseason match on Aug. 13, before earning a 1-0 victory at Campbell on Aug. 17. The Phoenix concluded its exhibition schedule with a 4-0 defeat of No. 22 Charlotte this past Saturday, Aug. 20.
Elon at Charlotte, Friday, Aug. 26, at 12 p.m., Charlotte, N.C.
Elon vs. Campbell, Saturday, Aug. 27, at 5 p.m., Charlotte, N.C.
• The Phoenix begins its 2016 campaign on Friday, Aug. 26, in the Charlotte Invitational against host Charlotte and Campbell.
• The maroon and gold is 5-7 all-time against the 49ers but have claimed the victory in three of the last four meetings. While the Phoenix has only won three of 15 total matches against Campbell, all three have been in the last five meetings since 2008.
• Elon returns 12 players from 2015, including five starters, and welcomes three newcomers to the team. Head coach Mary Tendler enters her 14th season as the head coach of the maroon and gold.
Women’s Soccer (1-1)
Elon vs. UNCG, Friday, Aug. 26, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon at #14 Clemson, Sunday, Aug. 28, at 2 p.m., Clemson, S.C.
• The Phoenix split its opening weekend at Rudd Field with a 2-0 victory over Charleston Southern on Friday and a 2-1 setback on Sunday against High Point.
• Ninth-year head coach Chris Neal became the winningest coach in program history earning his 75th victory at Elon on Friday against CSU.
• Elon will face a second consecutive Triad foe, UNCG, on Friday. The maroon and gold will follow it up with a matchup against No. 14 Clemson on Sunday.