College Football Final – Hampden-Sydney 21, Guilford 15

HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, Va. – Mike DeMasi’s seven-yard touchdown run with 1:13 left gave Hampden-Sydney College a 21-15 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) victory over previously unbeaten Guilford College Saturday. The contest was played on a very muddy Everett Stadium in a driving rainstorm due to Hurricane Matthew.

Guilford (4-1, 1-1 ODAC) is ranked 25th in this week’s American Football Coaches’ Association NCAA Division III Poll.

Trailing 15-13, Hampden-Sydney (1-4, 1-1 ODAC) forced a Guilford punt from the Quakers’ 39-yard line with 1:48 remaining in regulation. Rookie punter Harrison Kiser fielded a low snap in the rain and inadvertently touched the ground, which ended the play and gave the Tigers possession at Guilford’s 27-yard line with 1:40 left.

After an incompletion, Hampden-Sydney quarterback Alec Cobb completed a 20-yard pass to Patrick Kline down to the Quakers’ seven-yard line, the Tigers’ initial first down of the fourth quarter. Guilford linebacker Nathan Campbell deflected the pass, but Kline stayed with it and pulled it in at the Quakers’ seven. DeMasi scored on the next play to put Hampden-Sydney back in front for good. Cobb kept the ball on a fake reverse and scored on a two-point conversion that provided the game’s final margin.

The ensuing kickoff was downed at the Quakers’ 18-yard line. Guilford failed to complete a pass in the elements and turned the ball over on downs. The Tigers ran off the remaining time for their first win of the season and their ninth straight over Guilford at Everett Stadium.

The Quakers overcame a 13-6 halftime deficit thanks to a 22-yard field goal by Erick Fuentes and the second of two touchdown runs by quarterback Karsten Miller. Miller’s second score, from two yards out, put Guilford ahead, 15-13, with 2:15 left in the third quarter.

Guilford’s defense and Hunter Causey’s running helped turn the tide in the second half. The Quakers yielded only 62 yards on 26 plays in the second half before Hampden-Sydney’s final scoring drive. Gibson Ziah recorded three of Guilford’s four second-half sacks. Causey ran for 114 of his game- and career-high 182 yards in the second half.

Cobb’s two first-half touchdown passes helped Hampden-Sydney take a 13-6 halftime lead. The Quakers’ lone turnover led to the Tigers’ first score. John Kline sacked Miller and forced a fumble recovered by a helmetless Joe Everette at Guilford’s 33-yard line. Three plays later, Cobb looped a 22-yard touchdown pass to Carter Cunningham and Jordan Chalkey’s point-after kick gave the hosts a 7-6 edge.

Guilford’s Campbell recovered a Cobb fumble at the Tigers’ 26-yard line late in the first quarter, but the Quakers could not capitalize. Guilford turned the ball over on downs and Hampden-Sydney answered with a five-play, 73-yard scoring drive that featured Cobb’s 22-yard pass to Cam Johnson and a 47-yard run by DeMasi. Cobb hit Johnson with touchdown pass after DeMasi’s run took the ball to the Guilford two.

Cobb completed 13-of31 passes for 178 yards and two scores. Johnson made four catches for 50 yards and DeMasi led the Tigers with 83 rushing yards on 15 carries.

Guilford rolled up 290 total offensive yards in the game, but was penalized 10 times for 135 yards. Miller completed seven of 27 passes for 144 yards, including five to Tyriek Russell, who finished with 126 receiving yards. Hunter Hoots eight tackles paced the Quakers’ defense, which allowed 66 total yards in the second half.

The Quakers return home next Saturday (10/15) to host defending league champion Washington and Lee University, which improved to 3-2 (2-0 ODAC) Saturday with a last-second road win over Catholic University.

1 comment

  1. Cobb didn’t fumble in first quarter as article states. HSC had Carter Cunningham in at Wildcat QB and he fumbled trying to throw swing pas.

Comments are closed.