ELON, N.C. – A second straight road trip awaits the Elon University football team this weekend as the Phoenix will head to Towson, Md., to take on the Towson Tigers in a CAA Football contest on Saturday, Nov. 5. Game time is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. at Johnny Unitas Stadium.
Fans unable to attend the game can listen to the game on WSML 104.5 FM and 1200 AM or at elonphoenix.com as David Hibbard and Taylor Durham will have the call. The radio broadcast will start at 1:00 p.m. Fans can also listen to all Elon football games via the TuneIn Radio app. This app is free to download to your smartphone.
A video stream of the game will be available through the TowsonSportsNetwork.
ELON VS. TOWSON
Following a victory over Towson at Rhodes Stadium in 2015, Elon is now 1-4 all-time against the Tigers. The teams have faced off twice before at Unitas Stadium – Towson defeated Elon 24-7 in 2003 and 21-19 in 2014.
OH CAPTAIN, MY CAPTAIN
The Phoenix football squad elected two captains for the 2016 season. Serving as captain for the second year in a row is senior linebacker John Silas (Powder Springs, Ga.). He will be joined by first-year captain, junior offensive lineman Ikenna Nwokeji (Randolph, Mass.).
Each week the Phoenix will also name a game-week captain. The list of those captains is below:
• Gardner-Webb– LB Warren Messer (Garner, N.C.)
• at Charlotte – RB Brandon Gentry (Monroe, N.C.)
• Fayetteville State – DL Nick Groll (Armonk, N.Y.)
• at William & Mary – DB Malcolm Galloway (Norcross, Ga.)
• Villanova – DL Dondre Howell (Mooresville, N.C.)
• New Hampshire – OL CJ Toogood (Holly Springs, N.C.)
• Richmond – DB Chris Blair (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
• at Albany – TE John Luke Arrington (Springboro, Ohio)
• at Towson – None
NUMBERS FROM LAST GAME
• 3 consecutive games with double-digit tackles by linebacker Warren Messer (Garner, N.C.) who made a career-high 14 stops at Albany
• 3 sacks recorded by Elon against the Great Danes, matching a season high
• 6 receptions by Corey Joyner (Mooresville, N.C.), a personal best; Joyner also tied a career high with 54 receiving yards
WINNING ON THE ROAD
Three of Elon’s four victories last season came on the road. That marked the most road wins for the Phoenix since winning three contests away from home in 2011. Elon is 1-2 on the road in 2016.