ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon at NCAA Southeast Regionals, Friday, Nov. 11, at 11 a.m., Charlottesville, Va.
• The Phoenix will compete at its last scheduled meet for the season at the NCAA Southeast Regionals on Friday, Nov. 11, hosted by the University of Virginia.
• Last season at the Southeast Regional championships, the Phoenix women earned its highest finish ever at the meet as the squad finished seventh overall. Kimberly Johansen also became the second female runner in school history to receive All-Region honors.
• Nick Ciolkowski successfully defended his individual Colonial Athletic Association men’s cross country championship at the league meet on Oct. 29. The sophomore became the first runner in school history to claim two individual conference medalist honors after clocking a time of 25:08.10 in the 8K race – nearly 13 seconds faster than the runner-up. It was also the third straight season that Elon has claimed the men’s individual CAA title (Luis Vargas, 2014, Ciolkowski, 2015, 2016).
Football (2-7, 1-5)
Inside the Huddle Luncheon, Monday, Nov. 7, at 12 p.m., Best Western Plus
Elon Football Live Radio Show, Thursday, Nov. 10, at 7 p.m., The Fat Frogg
Elon vs. Rhode Island, Saturday, Nov. 12, at 1:30 p.m., Rhodes Stadium (Senior Day)
• In Saturday’s loss at Towson, freshman De’Sean McNair ran for a career-best 91 yards. Junior Chris Blair also picked off his second pass of the season.
• The Phoenix wraps up the home portion of its schedule with a 1:30 p.m., game against Rhode Island. Elon and the Rams will be meeting for the first time.
• Prior to Saturday’s game with URI, Elon will recognize its senior class.
Elon vs. William Peace, Friday, Nov. 11, at 8 p.m., Alumni Gym
• The Elon men’s basketball opens the 2016-17 season on Friday night against the William Peace Pacers. The game will begin following the conclusion of the Elon volleyball match at 6 p.m.
• The maroon and gold returns 14 players this season and 11 that saw action in 16 or more games last season. The Phoenix returns 84 percent of its scoring from the 2015-16 campaign.
• Listen to the game live on WSML 104.5 FM/1200 AM and on the TuneIn app with Taylor Durham and Ryan Meizinger on the call. The game will also be broadcasted on Phoenix All-Access.
Volleyball (17-13, 3-10)
Elon at UNCW, Monday, Nov. 7, at 7 p.m., Wilmington, N.C.
Elon vs. Hofstra, Friday, Nov. 11, at 6 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Northeastern, Sunday, Nov. 13, at 2 p.m., Alumni Gym (Senior Day)
• The Phoenix split the two matches it played last week, claiming a sweep of North Carolina Central in Alumni Gym on Nov. 1 before falling, 3-0, at College of Charleston on Saturday.
• It was announced last week that junior Sydney Busa had been named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District Team, giving her the chance to earn Academic All-America honors.
• After its final road match at UNCW, Elon returns home to Alumni Gym to close out the regular season. The Phoenix will host Hofstra on Friday evening before taking on league-leader Northeastern on Sunday. The match against the Huskies will also mark Senior Day for the team’s four seniors – Kayla Agae, Ally Karle, Morgan Maner and Ebony Scott.
Elon at Green Bay, Friday, Nov. 11, at 8 p.m. (EST), Green Bay, Wis.
• Elon officially begins the 2016-17 season on Friday at Green Bay as part of the Preseason WNIT. The game will mark the first meeting between the two Phoenix mascots and the first appearance for Elon in the prestigious tournament.
• The maroon and gold played its lone exhibition game last Saturday (Oct. 29), taking a 74-42 win against Wingate in Alumni Gym. Shay Burnett led the way for the maroon and gold with a double-double after 20 points and 11 boards to go along with four assists and six steals. Jenifer Rhodes also tallied a double with 10 points and a game-high 12 rebounds.
• If the Phoenix claims a win in Green Bay, the team will move on to play either Little Rock or North Texas on Sunday, Nov. 13, with the game site TBD. Elon returns to Alumni Gym to host Rutgers in its home opener on Monday, Nov. 14, at 5:30 p.m. as part of an Elon basketball doubleheader.