ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams.
Men’s Basketball (9-8, 1-3 CAA)
Elon vs. Hofstra, Thursday, Jan. 12, 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon at James Madison, Saturday, Jan. 14, 4 p.m., Harrisonburg, Va.
• The Phoenix looks to continue its winning ways this week at home against Hofstra on Thursday and on the road at James Madison on Saturday.
• Steven Santa Ana averaged 16.7 points per game in Elon’s last three games, which included a 29-point performance at William & Mary on Thursday night. The sophomore tied a school record with nine three-pointers against the Tribe. Santa Ana also led the Phoenix with 15 points in Elon’s 72-61 victory over Towson on Saturday.
• The Phoenix has four players averaging double-figure scoring this season, which includes Santa Ana (12.5), Brian Dawkins (12.5), Tyler Seibring (12.4) and Dainan Swoope (10.3).
Elon at College of Charleston, Friday, Jan. 13, Charleston, S.C.
Elon vs. Drexel, Sunday, Jan. 15, Alumni Gym
• Looking to extend its current seven-game winning streak, Elon will head down to College or Charleston on Friday night looking for the season sweep of the Cougars after topping CofC 70-57 last Monday, Jan. 2. The Phoenix will also look for the season sweep of Drexel on Sunday back home inside Alumni Gym after defeating the Dragons 48-45 on Friday, Jan. 6, in Philadelphia.
• Elon’s current winning streak of seven games is the longest under head coach Charlotte Smith. Last time the Phoenix won seven in a row came during 2010-11 in Southern Conference play. The 3-0 start to CAA play is the best start to a conference slate since opening the 2001-02 season 6-0 in Big South action.
• Shay Burnett was stellar in all three wins last week. She scored 10 points and had six rebounds with seven assists against College of Charleston before posting 11 points and 11 rebounds on the road at Drexel. Last time out, she scored eight points with a career-high-matching 15 rebounds to go with four assists and three steals.
Women’s Track and Field
Elon at Virginia Tech Invitational, Friday-Saturday, Jan. 13-14, Blacksburg, Va.
• The Phoenix will compete in its second indoor meet of the season and its first of the 2017 calendar year this weekend at the Virginia Tech Invitational.
• Elon last competed at the JDL College Kickoff on Dec. 3, for its indoor season opener. During that meet, Elon had seven performers set new personal-bests in their respective events.
• Among the standouts at the JDL College Kickoff was senior Kimberly Johansen, who broke her own school-record in the indoor one-mile run. The Chelmsford, England, native clocked a time of 4:47.00 and easily earned medalist honors for the race. She has already qualified for the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Indoor Championships for later this season.