WHEN: Saturday, January 21, 12 p.m.
WHERE: Dedmon Center (3,200)
RECORDS: High Point (9-10, 3-4), Radford (9-10, 4-3)
SERIES RECORD: Radford leads 22-19
LAST MEETING: High Point def. Radford, 75-72 in overtime, on Feb. 20, 2016
LIVE AUDIO: High Point Panther Radio Network
GAME NOTES: Click here (PDF)
HIGH POINT, N.C. – Coming off a road win at Campbell on Thursday, the High Point University men’s basketball team will try to push its winning streak to three in a row when it takes on Radford on Saturday, Jan. 21, at noon in Radford Va. The game will be broadcast live on American Sports Network and will be broadcast live locally on my48
Joe Weil and Stafford Stephenson will be on the call on the High Point Panthers Radio Network, with pre-game coverage beginning at 11:30 a.m.
• High Point picked up its second-straight win on Thursday with an 83-78 comeback win at Campbell. Five different HPU players finished in double figures in the game led by senior Anthony Lindauer and sophomore Andre Fox who both had 16 in the contest. Senior Tarique Thompson finished with 14 in the game and both redshirt-senior Miles Bowman Jr. and sophomore Ricky Madison scored 10.
• The Panthers outrebounded Campbell by 15, 35-20, and had 15 offensive rebounds on just 27 missed shots resulting in 27 second-chance points. High Point has been one of the top rebounding teams in the Big South since the start of league play. The Panthers have a +6.4 rebounding margin in seven Big South games and have won the rebounding battle in each of its past five games. For the season, High Point has allowed just 32.2 rebounds per game, tops in the conference.
• High Point shot 21-22 from the free throw line against Campbell for a free throw shooting percentage of 95.5, tied for third-best in a game in the HPU Div. I era and the highest since the Panthers went 16-16 against Campbell in 2015. HPU has excelled in free throw shooting on the road, going 141-180 (.783). Overall, High Point ranks third in the Big South in free throw percentage at .714 (307-430). Redshirt-senior Miles Bowman Jr., leads the Big South and is 24th in the nation in free throw percentage at .892 (66-74).
• Freshman Jamal Wright currently sits second in the Big South in assists per game (3.8) in his first collegiate campaign. He has 72 assists while committing just 44 turnovers and is also second in the conference with a 1.6 assist-to-turnover ratio.
• Bowman Jr. finished with 10 points and a team-best 13 rebounds at Campbell for his eighth double-double of the season. He is one of 43 players nationally with at least eight double-doubles in 2016-17. The redshirt-senior is second in the Big South and 54th nationally in rebounds/game (8.9).
HISTORY vs. RADFORD
High Point trails in the all-time series against the Highlanders with a 19-22 record in 41 meetings between the two sides. The Panthers have won three of the past four games against RU, including a season sweep of the Highlanders last season. The Purple & White earned a 77-60 win at the Millis Center in the first meeting of the year then completed the sweep with a 75-72 win in overtime at the Dedmon Center. John Brown led the team in scoring in both games, averaging 15.5 ppg and 6.5 rpg in the two contests. Senior Anthony Lindauer averaged 11 ppg in the two wins and redshirt-senior Miles Bowman Jr., had 17 points and five rebounds off the bench in HPU’s road win.
HISTORY vs. OPPONENTS FROM VIRGINIA
High Point has complied a 75-71 (.514) record all-time against Div. I programs hailing from the Old Dominion State. HPU’s most common opponents are Radford (19-22, .463), Liberty (16-22, .421) and Longwood (21-7, .750). High Point is 56-51 (.523) against Big South programs from Virginia and 19-20 (.487) against the rest of the state’s Div. I teams. HPU is 0-3 against teams from Virginia this season having lost at Virginia Tech and at home against Longwood and Liberty.
A LOOK AT THE HIGHLANDERS (9-10, 4-3 BIG SOUTH)
Radford is 9-10 overall and 4-3 in the Big South this season with wins over both UNC Asheville and Winthrop already. Radford is coming off a 72-60 win at Longwood at Thursday that ended a two-game skid for the Highlanders. RU features a balanced attack with three players averaging between 11.1 and 10.3 points per game. Redshirt-junior guard Justin Cousin is tops on the team in scoring followed by sophomore forward Ed Polite Jr. (10.6 ppg) and sophomore guard Caleb Tanner. The 6-5 Polite Jr., is averaging a double-double for the season and is the top rebounder in the league at 10.1 rebounds per game. Tanner is the Highlanders top outside threat, shooting .427 from behind the arc and averaging 2.5 made threes per game. Radford is the top rebounding team in the Big South, averaging 38.8 boards per game with a +5.4 margin.
High Point returns to the Millis Center for its only home contest in five games on Thursday, Jan. 26, when the team wraps up the first half of conference play against Charleston Southern. Tip time for the contest is set for 7 p.m.