ELON, N.C. – A trio of athletes from the Elon University women’s track and field team will compete this week at the NCAA East Preliminary Round at the University of Kentucky. The meet kicks off on Thursday, May 25, as the Phoenix triumvirate of Bryanna Hames, Kimberly Johansen and Bre’anna Warren will look to qualify for the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships on June 7-10.
Follow the Phoenix
Fans can keep up with the action of the Phoenix this week with live results listed on the Elon women’s track and field schedule page. Other updates will be provided on the team’s social media accounts on Twitter and Instagram at the handle, @eu_xctf. There will be a live stream of the meet on each day via Watch ESPN.
Phoenix at a Glance
1,500-meters • Kimberly Johansen
First Round: Thursday at 5:30 p.m. • Quarterfinal: Saturday at 6:30 p.m.
Johansen qualified for her third straight NCAA East Prelim meet in the 1,500-meters with her time 4:23.05 that she set earlier this season at the Raleigh Relays. The Chelmsford, England, native won her second Colonial Athletic Association title in the event in her career at the league championships this season.
Discus • Bryanna Hames and Bre’anna Warren
Final: Friday at 2 p.m.
Hames enters her second NCAA East Prelims as the Phoenix’s highest-ranked athlete at the meet. The Charlotte, N.C., native sits at No. 22 in the discus throw with a school-record mark of 52.57m that she set at the CAA Outdoor Championships, finishing second overall to earn All-CAA honors. Warren makes her debut at the regional meet with her new personal-record of 50.65m that she set at the Tiger Track Classic. The Greensboro, N.C., native was third at the CAA Championships in the discus to earn All-CAA accolades.
• This is the fifth straight season that the Phoenix has had at least one athlete qualify for the NCAA East Preliminaries. It’s also the fourth consecutive year that Elon has had at least three or more athletes compete at the regional meet.
• Both Hames and Johansen will compete at the NCAA Prelims as outdoor school-record holders in multiple events. Hames holds the school marks in both the discus and shot put while Johanse sits atop the program’s performance list in the 800 and 1,500-meters.
• For the first time in school history, the Phoenix will send multiple throwers to the NCAA East Prelims in Hames and Warren. Last year, Hames become the Phoenix first thrower to qualify for the regional meet in the discus.
• Last time out, Hames took first in the shot put at the Aggies Last Chance Meet on May 14. The junior broke her school-record in the event with a toss of 49’ 1” (14.96m).
• The Phoenix trio will be among 17 athletes from the CAA that will compete at the NCAA East Regional Meet. William & Mary leads the way with four qualifiers while Elon is tied for the second-most along with Northeastern.
The Phoenix athletes that advance through the first rounds at the East Prelim will punch their tickets to the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Oregon. The meet, held at historic Hayward Field for the fourth-straight year, is slated for June 7-10.