RICHMOND, Va. – In an announcement made by the league office on Monday, Oct. 23, Elon freshman quarterback Davis Cheek has been named the co-CAA Football Rookie of the Week after leading the Phoenix to its sixth consecutive victory over the weekend.
In Elon’s 35-34 win over Rhode Island, Cheek threw for a personal best 331 yards as he completed 23 of his 34 passes. For the third time this season, Cheek tossed three touchdown passes, including a career-long completion of 65 yards on a TD strike to Corey Joyner. In leading the Phoenix to the win, Cheek engineered his third fourth-quarter comeback this season.
On the season, Cheek has completed 93 of his 148 passes for 1,193 yards and 10 touchdowns. He has also rushed for 75 yards and two scores.
Elon will look for its seventh consecutive victory on Saturday, Oct. 28, when the maroon and gold visits Villanova for a 3:30 p.m. contest.
Elon’s 2017 CAA Football Weekly Award Winners
• Davis Cheek – Rookie of the Week (Sept. 11)
• Owen Johnson – Special Teams Player of the Week (Sept. 11)
• Malcolm Summers – co-Offensive Player of the Week (Sept. 25)
• Tyler Campbell – Defensive Player of the Week (Oct. 2)
• Davis Cheek – co-Rookie of the Week (Oct. 23)