GREENSBORO, N.C. – Despite dropping the doubles point, Elon University women’s tennis fought back to earn a 5-2 victory over Triad rival UNCG on Wednesday, March 28, at the UNCG Tennis Courts.
Erica Braschi picked up the match-clinching win in singles on court two, helping Elon (11-9) extend its winning streak to three matches. Alex Koniaev was the highlight of the day for the Phoenix as she finished a perfect 2-0 on the afternoon with wins in singles and doubles.
“Our team competed very well and they continue to improve with every match we play,” said head coach Elizabeth Anderson. “I was especially proud of Alex Koniaev for winning both her singles and doubles matches today.”
UNCG (3-11) took the early 1-0 advantage after the doubles point, coming back from down a match to claim the point. Elon claimed the first doubles match as Alex Koniaev and Maria Paraja earned a 6-1 win on the top court. The Spartans battled back from deficits on the final two courts to claim the doubles point.
The Phoenix would then win five consecutive singles matches to claim the victory. Suzanne Zenoni picked up a win at No. 3 singles to start the run and Kirsten Ward would follow with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Emily Ory at the No. 6 position.
Following Koniaev’s 6-3, 6-4 win over Blaine Boaz on court five, Braschi sealed the Phoenix victory with a 6-4, 6-1 defeat of Sophia Adams on the second court. Olivia Lucas completed Elon’s string of five-straight singles wins at the No. 1 position as she defeated Nancy Bridges 6-4, 6-4 to put the Phoenix ahead 5-1 in the match.
Brianna Gomez picked up UNCG’s lone singles win after the match winning a third set tiebreaker and defeating Paraja 6-4, 4-6, 10-6 on court four.
– Erica Baschi picked up her 57th-career dual match singles win against the Spartans. She is now tied for second all-time in program history.
– Elizabeth Anderson earned her 196th victory as a head coach after Wednesday’s win. She is just four wins away from reach 200 career wins.
– With her win at No. 1 singles, Olivia Lucas now has 48 dual match singles victories in her career, which ranks sixth in program history.
The Phoenix returns to the courts on Saturday, March 31, at 10 a.m. with a road contest at College of Charleston.
1. Olivia Lucas (ELON) def. Nancy Bridges (UNCG-W) 6-4, 6-4
2. Erica Braschi (ELON) def. Sophia Adams (UNCG-W) 6-4, 6-1
3. Suzanne Zenoni (ELON) def. Corinne Blythe (UNCG-W) 5-4, retired
4. Brianna Gomez (UNCG-W) def. Maria Paraja (ELON) 6-4, 4-6, 10-6
5. Alex Koniaev (ELON) def. Blaine Boaz (UNCG-W) 6-3, 6-4
6. Kirsten Ward (ELON) def. Emily Ory (UNCG-W) 6-1, 6-1
1. Alex Koniaev/Maria Paraja (ELON) def. Blaine Boaz/Corinne Blythe (UNCG-W) 6-1
2. Emily Ory/Nancy Bridges (UNCG-W) def. Olivia Lucas/Erica Braschi (ELON) 6-4
3. Alice Taylor/Sophia Adams (UNCG-W) def. Kirsten Ward/Suzanne Zenoni (ELON) 6-4
Order of Finish:
Singles – 3,6,5,2,1,4
Doubles – 1,3,2