ELON, N.C. – The Elon University women’s basketball team is set to play its third game in the last five days as the Phoenix heads to Hampton for a matchup versus the Lady Pirates on Sunday, Dec. 2, inside the Hampton University Convocation Center. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m.
The game will be streamed on ESPN+ and can be view via a paid subscription. Fans can also listen to the game on WSOE 89.3 with Jake Young and David Flynt on the call. Other updates of the game between the Phoenix and the Lady Pirates will be provided on Twitter at the handle @ElonWBasketball.
Series History (Series tied at 1-1)
Elon and Hampton have faced each other twice on the basketball hardwood prior to Sunday. Both are tied at 1-1 in the all-time series as the Phoenix won the most recent contest against the Lady Pirates, 82-59, last season in Elon. Sunday’s game will be the first between the two programs at Hampton’s home court.
Last Time Out
Elon fell in its final game of a short two-game homestand on Friday, Nov. 30, against Marist, 61-57, at Schar Center. Down four points heading into the fourth, the Red Foxes opened the final period on a 10-0 run while holding the Phoenix to just eight points in the quarter. Rookie Brie Perpignan had her first career double-double in the contest as she tied her season-best with 17 points and added a season-high 10 rebounds for the Phoenix. She and Lexi Mercer (14 points) were the only Phoenix players in double figures in the contest against Marist, who came into the contest ranked ninth in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top-25 poll.
• Elon is averaging 70.5 points per game this season, which is fourth overall in the Colonial Athletic Association. The Phoenix is also shooting .433 from the field, which is second in the league.
• The Phoenix has four active players averaging double figures for the season. Mercer leads the team with her 12.6 PPG average while shooting 50 percent (21-of-42) from the floor. Emily Maupin (11.8 PPG), Ariel Colón (11.2) and Perpignan (10.8 PPG) are the other Phoenix players posting double-digit scoring this season.
• Perpignan is shooting a team and CAA-best .571 percent from the floor (24-of-42) as Elon has three players in the top-five of the league in overall field goal percentage.
• Colón continues to lead the Phoenix with her efforts on the boards at 7.3 per game, which is seventh in the CAA.
• Elon returns eight letterwinners from its team that successfully defended its Colonial Athletic Association Tournament title and made a return trip to the NCAA Tournament a year ago.
• The Phoenix closed out 2017-18 with a 25-8 record overall and a 14-4 mark during league play including a 13-game winning streak to close out the regular season and conference tournament.
• The Phoenix was tabbed to finish third in the 2018-19 CAA Preseason Poll as conducted by the league’s head coaches on Oct. 18. Elon received one first-place vote en route to 61 points for a tie for third place. James Madison (79 points) and Drexel (71 points) were selected in front of the Phoenix, who tied with Delaware for third with 61 points.
• Elon returns three starters from last year’s team including sophomore guard Saadia Munford, an CAA All-Rookie team selection in 2017-18. Munford was chosen as a Preseason All-CAA selection this season with her spot on the third team.
• Additionally, the Phoenix added five newcomers to the 2018-19 roster, which will again be one of the youngest in the nation with only two upperclassmen and no seniors.
Scouting Hampton (3-1)
Hampton is 3-1 on its young season and has won two straight with victories versus James Madison and Samford in its past two contests. The Lady Pirates are coming off an 18-14 ledger in 2017-18 and was picked to finish fourth in the 2018-19 Big South Preseason Poll as Hampton enters its first season in the conference.
As a team, Hampton is averaging 64.5 points per game and is shooting .361 percent from the floor and .426 from three. The Lady Pirates defense is holding opponents to .337 shooting overall. Freshman guard Laren VanArsdale leads Hampton with 17.3 PPG and is averaging 26 points in the past two games. Ashley Bates is next on the team at 14.3 points per game while leading the Lady Pirates in minutes at 34.3 MPG.
After playing its home games in Alumni Gym since the start of the program in 1972, Elon moves into its new facility, Schar Center, this season. The 5,100-seat facility will provide an elite venue for Phoenix basketball and volleyball games in addition to convocations, speakers and other major campus events. The facility is named for Dwight and Martha Schar, of Palm Beach, Fla.
With 25 victories last season, Elon posted back-to-back 20-win campaigns for the first time as a Division I program. Overall, Elon has posted three 20-win seasons during the Division I era.
Elon returns to Schar Center to host intrastate foe Davidson on Wednesday, Dec. 5. That game is scheduled for a 7 p.m. tip-off.