High Point at Winthrop
WHEN: Saturday, January 12 | 2 p.m.
WHERE: Rock Hill, S.C. | Winthrop Coliseum
SERIES RECORD: 44th meeting, Winthrop leads, 29-14
LIVE STATS: Click Here
AUDIO: High Point Panther Radio Network
GAME NOTES: Click Here
HIGH POINT, N.C. — The High Point University men’s basketball team continues Big South Conference play Saturday (Jan. 12) at Winthrop in Rock Hill, S.C. Tip-off at the Winthrop Coliseum is set for 2 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on ESPN3.
• This will be the 44th all-time meeting between the two programs, with the Eagles leading the series, 29-14. Winthrop won both meetings last season.
• HPU head coach Tubby Smith is 2-0 against Winthrop in his head coaching career.
• The Panthers are coming off a 74-58 victory over Presbyterian on Thursday (Jan. 10). HPU never trailed in the game.
• With the win over PC, High Point is 2-0 in Big South play for the first time since the 2015-16 season.
• HPU has started 2-0 in Big South play seven times since joining the conference for the 1999-2000 season. The other times were 2001-02, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2006-07, 2010-11 and 2015-16.
• The Panthers are on a three-game win streak for the second time this season.
• Senior Ricky Madison recorded his third double-double of the season with 10 points and a career-high 17 rebounds against Presbyterian. He also picked up double-doubles against Air Force and The Citadel.
• Junior Brandonn Kamga led all scorers with 25 points, the sixth time this season he has scored 20 or more points.
• Senior Jordan Whitehead followed up a double-double against Charleston Southern (11 points, 10 rebounds) with 10 points and eight rebounds against Presbyterian. The former walk-on is averaging career highs in minutes (25.7), points (6.9) and rebounds (5.6).
HISTORY vs. WINTHROP
This will be the 44th meeting all-time between the programs, with Winthrop leading the series, 29-14. The Eagles won both meetings last season, including a 76-60 win in Rock Hill, S.C., on Dec. 30, 2017 and an 82-70 win at the Millis Center on Feb. 10, 2018.
HISTORY vs. OPPONENTS FROM SOUTH CAROLINA
High Point has complied a 83-100 (.454) record all-time against Division I programs hailing from the Palmetto State. HPU’s most common opponents are Winthrop (14-29), Charleston Southern (22-18) and Coastal Carolina (16-21). High Point is 54-56 against Big South programs from South Carolina and 29-44 against the rest of the state’s Div. I teams. The Panthers are 2-2 this season against teams from South Carolina, winning against Charleston Southern and Presbyterian, but falling to Wofford and The Citadel.
TUBBY SMITH vs. WINTHROP
HPU head coach Tubby Smith has faced Winthrop two times in his head coaching career. The first game was when Coach Smith’s Georgia Bulldogs defeating the Eagles in Rock Hill, S.C., 81-55, on Dec. 10, 1995. Coach Smith also took down Winthrop to open the 2003-04 season with Kentucky, a 65-44 win on Nov. 21, 2003.
A LOOK AT THE WINTHROP
The Eagles are 10-5 on the season and 2-0 in Big South play after defeating Campbell, 90-86, on Thursday (Jan. 10). Winthrop has four players averaging double figures in scoring, led by Nych Smith with 16.8 points per game. Josh Ferguson is leading the squad with 7.7 rebounds per contest to go along with 11.5 points per game.
The Panthers will continue Big South play against USC Upstate on Wednesday (Jan. 16). Tip-off at the Millis Center is set for 7 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on ESPN+.