ELON, N.C. – For the first of two straight weeks, the Elon University women’s track and field team will travel to Lynchburg, Va., competing this weekend at the Liberty Kickoff. The two-day meet is scheduled to begin on Friday, Jan. 24 and concludes on Saturday, Jan. 25, inside the Liberty Indoor Complex.
Updates of the meet will be posted on the team’s social media pages on Twitter and Instagram at the handle, @ElonXCTF. Live results will be provided and can be found on the program’s schedule page at elonphoenix.com along with a recap and results at the conclusion of the meet.
About the Field
• The field at the Liberty Kickoff will include schools across the NCAA Division I, NCAA Division II, NCAA Division III, NAIA, USCAA and NJCAAA divisions.
• Notable programs at the meet with the Phoenix include Coastal Carolina, Hampton, James Madison, Kennesaw State, UMES, Morgan State, North Carolina Central, UNCW, Wofford and host Liberty.
• Elon is scheduled to have 25 athletes compete this weekend. Below is a list of events for the Phoenix athletes slated to compete:
Schedule of Events:
Friday, Jan. 24
4:00 PM: Weight Throw (Skyla Barthelmes, Charlotte Bradsher, Lauryn Carlton)
5:00 PM: Pole Vault (Madison George)
5:45 PM: 4×800-meter relay (Stephanie Lair, Emily Smith, Gabriela Varisco de Oliveira, Anna Twomey)
Saturday, Jan. 25
9:30 AM: Long Jump (Alex Tudor, Melody Burke, Alyssa Zee)
10:30 AM: High Jump (Jessica Anderson, Moira O’Malley, Burke)
11:30 AM: Shot Put (Skylar Barthelmes, Charlotte Bradsher, Lauryn Carlton, Kathleen Collins)
1:00 PM: Triple jump (Tudor)
10:00 AM: 60-meter hurdles prelims (Jordan Haywood, Aaliyah Rodgers)
10:10 AM: One-mile (Hannah Miller, Lauren Lynch)
10:30 AM: 60-meter hurdles semifinals
10:50 AM: 60-meters prelims (Alex Cox, Haywood, Zee)
11:35 AM: 60-meter hurdles finals
11:45 AM: 60-meter semifinals
12:20 PM: 60-meter finals
12:25 PM: 400-meters (Aliya Barrows, Riley Drometer, Lauren Willingham)
1:40 PM: 500-meter Dash (Varisco de Oliveira, Smith, Lair)
2:15 PM: 800-meters
2:40 PM: 1000-meters (Twomey, Smith, Ashley Irby, Miller, Sophia Tasselmyer)
3:30 PM: 200-meters (Haywood, Tudor, Barrows, Zee)
4:30 PM: 3000-meters (Section 1)
5:10 PM: 4×400-meter relay
5:55 PM: 3000-meters (Remaining Sections)
Last Time Out
• Elon kicked off the 2020 calendar year at the JDL January College Kickoff Classic last Sunday, Jan. 19. The Phoenix earned four event victories at the meet and also had six runner-up finishers.
• Individually, Elon had victories from Barthelmes (shot put), George (pole vault) and Tudor (long jump) while also seeing its 4×800-meter relay team take gold in its race.
• Barthelmes won the first event of the day for the maroon and gold in the shot put as the Dartmouth, Mass., native added her second event win of the indoor season in as many meets. The senior threw a new personal-best mark of 13.52m and moved into the program’s top-five performance list.
• In the long jump, Tudor edged out teammate Melody Burke for individual medalist honors. The sophomore had a mark of 5.59m in the event – moving into the top-five in program history. Burke matched Tudor with her mark of 5.59m, but needed more jumps to do so to finish as the runner-up.
• George won the pole vault after defeating Appalachian State’s Celia Agee in a jump off for the event title. The freshman cleared the bar at 3.55m, marking the second-best jump in school history.
• The Phoenix’s last win came from its 4×800-meter relay team of Lair, Twomey, Smith and Varisco de Oliveira. The quartet combined to clock a time of 9:35.14 – about 40 seconds faster than the runner-up in the event.
• Bradsher was among the notable second-place finishers for the Phoenix with her runner-up standing in the weight throw. The Lorton, Va., native led the maroon and gold with her heave of 16.53m – the second-best mark in school history.
The Phoenix returns to the track next weekend, Jan. 31-Feb. 1, to compete at the Liberty Flames Invite.