ELON, N.C. – Continuing its homestand to start the season, the Elon University softball team is set to host longtime Triad rival North Carolina A&T at Hunt Softball Park on Wednesday afternoon, Feb. 12. Opening pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Follow the Phoenix
• Live stats will be available for the game by going to the team’s schedule page at elonphoenix.com.
• Updates will also be posted on Twitter at the team’s account @ElonSoftball.
Look Back at Elon Softball Classic
• The Phoenix went 3-1 last weekend, Feb. 8-9, in its home tournament, the Elon Softball Classic, to open the 2020 season.
• Elon defeated Rhode Island, 5-0, in its season-opener last Saturday, before taking a tough outing against Seton Hall in a 17-6 setback to conclude the first day at the tournament.
• The Phoenix rebounded on the following day to sweep Longwood in a doubleheader. Elon earned a 4-2 victory in the first game before concluding the twin bill with a 13-3 win over the Lancers.
Quinn Named CAA Pitcher of the Week
• Kenna Quinn was named the Colonial Athletic Association’s Pitcher of the Week on Tuesday, Feb. 11 for her performance in the circle at the Elon Softball Classic.
• Quinn went 2-0 over the weekend with a pair of complete game victories. She posted a 0.00 ERA and struck out 13 batters compared to four walks.
• The Boiling Springs, S.C., native fanned eight batters in the Phoenix’s 5-0 win over Rhode Island last Saturday. That mark tied a career-high.
• It was the first career CAA weekly accolade for Quinn.
• Coming off a season in which she was named the CAA Co-Rookie of the Year, Megan White has gotten off to a fast start for her sophomore campaign, posting a .400 average with six RBI, a double and a homer.
• White found the longball in Elon’s 13-3 win over Longwood on Sunday. She finished the day with a 2-for-3 performance at the plate while driving in four RBI.
• The Creedmoor, N.C., native also made a pair of great defensive plays against the Lancers in Elon’s 4-2 win on Sunday. White threw out two base runners stealing second including the game ending one in the top of the seventh.
• Elon and North Carolina A&T will meet for the 56th time on the softball diamond on Wednesday. The Phoenix holds a 45-10 advantage over the Aggies in a series going back to 1991 during Elon’s fastpitch era (since 1990).
• The Phoenix has won seven straight over the Aggies and 14 out of the last 15. Elon took a 9-1 win over N.C. A&T the last time the two teams met last season.
• North Carolina A&T’s last win in the series came in 2016 with a 4-1 victory in Elon.
Scouting North Carolina A&T
• The Aggies enter Wednesday’s contest with a 0-1 ledger after falling against Hampton on Saturday, 15-4, in Greensboro, N.C.
• North Carolina A&T is coming off a 9-30 ledger in 2019 and went 5-10 in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC).
• Stephanie Williams is one of three players on the Aggies with a batting average over .300 with her team-best .667. She also added a double to her stat line.
• Patti Raduenz begins her first season as the head coach at North Carolina A&T. Raduenz previously served as the head coach at Elon from 2001-11 and is the program’s all-time career wins leader with 277.
• Elon hosts its second tournament of the season, the Phoenix Invitational, this weekend, Feb. 14-16. The maroon and gold opens the tournament versus Radford on Friday, Feb. 14, at 4 p.m.