ELON, N.C. – Elon University women’s tennis defeated UNC Greensboro, 5-2, to secure its third-straight win on Friday, April 9.
“I’m really proud of the way the team competed this afternoon,” head coach Elizabeth Anderson began. “Lizette and Ali did a great job of getting things going and setting Sibel and Olivia up to clinch the doubles point. Olivia carried that over into singles and really helped keep up our momentum. Ali also showed a ton of grit to win her singles match and set Sibel up to clinch for us. We look forward to our match this Sunday at home against Charleston.”
– Sibel Tanik clinched the match for the Phoenix, taking down Sophia Adams in straight sets, 7-6, 6-2 on Friday afternoon. Tanik moved to 9-4 in the No. 2 singles slot and 10-8 overall with the win.
– Olivia Archer got things rolling for Elon, defeating Emily Ory 6-1, 6-4. Archer picked up her eighth singles win in the match and has now won seven of her last ten matches overall.
– Alison O’Dea gave the Phoenix a 3-0 lead in the match with her 6-2, 6-4 win over Eugenia Camacho. The victory marked the ninth singles victory for O’Dea this season and moved her to 6-3 in the No. 6 slot.
– Victoria Saldh rounded out the singles victories for Elon, outlasting Brianna Gomez 7-5, 5-7, 10-8 in a three-set battle. Saldh is now tied for the team lead in singles wins this season (13) and moves to 9-3 in No. 1 singles.
– The combination of Sibel Tanik and Olivia Archer clinched the doubles point for the Phoenix after defeating Juliana Craft and Brianna Gomez 6-4.
– Lizette Reding and Alison O’Dea picked up their ninth doubles victory this season in the match, finishing Hanna Giddings and Sophia Adams 6-3. The tandem now holds a perfect 2-0 mark in No. 1 doubles play.
The Phoenix will be back in action on Sunday, April 11, when it hosts College of Charleston at 1 p.m. at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center on Elon’s campus.
1. Alison O’Dea/Lizette Reding (ELON) def. Hanna Giddings/Sophia Adams (UNCG) 6-3
2. Sibel Tanik/Olivia Archer (ELON) def. Juliana Craft/Brianna Gomez (UNCG) 6-4
3. Tayah Cross/Emily Ory (UNCG) def. Victoria Saldh/Sofia Edo (ELON) 6-3
1. Victoria Saldh (ELON) def. Brianna Gomez (UNCG) 7-5, 5-7, 10-8
2. Sibel Tanik (ELON) def. Sophia Adams (UNCG) 7-6, 6-2
3. Hanna Giddings (UNCG) def. Lizette Reding (ELON) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
4. Olivia Archer (ELON) def. Emily Ory (UNCG) 6-1, 6-4
5. Juliana Craft (UNCG) def. Sofia Edo (ELON) 7-6, 3-6, 10-3
6. Alison O’Dea (ELON) def. Eugenia Camacho (UNCG) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,6,3,1,5)