ELON, N.C. – Elon University women’s tennis defeated Davidson, 4-1, to close out the regular season on Saturday, April 17. The win moved the Phoenix to 16-4 overall this season and extended its winning streak to five matches.
“I’m really proud of the way the team competed this afternoon to close out a very strong regular season,” head coach Elizabeth Anderson began. “I feel like this group is peaking at the right time as we look forward to the conference tournament next week. It was also really nice seeing Sofi compete on our courts one last time today. I couldn’t be more proud of all that she has accomplished on and off the court over the past five years.”
– Sibel Tanik clinched the match for the Phoenix, taking down Elizabeth Truluck 7-5, 6-7, 6-2 in a three-set battle on Saturday afternoon. Tanik moved to 11-4 in the No. 2 singles slot and has now won five-straight singles matches.
– Olivia Archer got things rolling for Elon, defeating Ava Ignatowich in straight sets 6-1, 6-4. Archer picked up her 10th singles win in the match, including a 5-2 mark in the No. 4 spot.
– Lizette Reding gave the Phoenix a 3-1 lead in the match with her 6-1, 6-3 win over Mira Gladstone. The victory marked Reding’s team-best 15th singles win this season, and moved her to 12-2 in the No. 3 position.
– Despite their matches going unfinished, Alison O’Dea and Kiana Rizzolo each held advantages in the decisive third set of their respective matches.
– The combination of Lizette Reding and Alison O’Dea clinched the doubles point for the Phoenix, defeating Josie Schaffer and Elizabeth Truluck 6-3.
– Sibel Tanik and Olivia Archer picked up their eighth doubles victory this season in the match, finishing Franny Shea and Charlotte James 6-2. The tandem now holds a perfect 3-0 mark in No. 2 doubles play.
– Sofia Edo and Victoria Saldh led 5-2 in their doubles match against Mira Gladstone and Victoria Anyanwu before the match went unfinished due to the Phoenix clinching the doubles point.
The Phoenix will now begin preparing for the upcoming CAA Women’s Tennis Tournament beginning on Thursday, April 22, in Williamsburg, Va.
1. Lizette Reding/Alison O’Dea (ELON) def. Josie Schaffer/Elizabeth Truluck (DAVW) 6-3
2. Sibel Tanik/Olivia Archer (ELON) def. Franny Shea/Charlotte James (DAVW) 6-2
3. Victoria Saldh/Sofia Edo (ELON) vs. Mira Gladstone/Victoria Anyanwu (DAVW) 5-2, unfinished
1. Josie Schaffer (DAVW) def. Victoria Saldh (ELON) 7-5, 6-2
2. Sibel Tanik (ELON) def. Elizabeth Truluck (DAVW) 7-5, 6-7, 6-2
3. Lizette Reding (ELON) def. Mira Gladstone (DAVW) 6-1, 6-3
4. Olivia Archer (ELON) def. Ava Ignatowich (DAVW) 6-1, 6-4
5. Alison O’Dea (ELON) vs. Franny Shea (DAVW) 5-7, 6-3, 5-3, unfinished
6. Kiana Rizzolo (ELON) vs. Charlotte James (DAVW) 2-6, 7-6, 5-4, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,1,3,2)