JACKSONVILLE, FLA. — The High Point University Women’s Track and field team had five competitors on Day 1 of the NCAA East Preliminary Championships on Thursday, May 27th. Alicia Dawson in the long jump, Nathalie Elliott, Mackenzie Horn, and Sydney Horn in the pole vault, and Nyile Facey in the first round of the 100M Hurdles and the 400M Hurdles. Sydney Horn was the first Panther to punch their ticket to Eugene, Oregon for the 2021 NCAA Outdoor National Championship as she finished seventh in the pole vault.
– Dawson’s first jump was 5.92m in her first attempt.
– Dawson’s third and final attempt was her largest of the day of 5.93m. Dawson finished 30th out of 48.
– The Trio of Panther pole vaulters all made it through four bars together as Elliott and both Horns made it over 4.07m.
– Sydney Horn continued to jump well as she cleared 4.17m in her first attempt.
– Sydney Horn punched her ticket in dramatic fashion as she cleared 4.27m in her final attempt securing her spot in the pole vault at the 2021 NCAA National Championship in Eugene, Oregon.
– Facey had a spirited performance in the first round of the Women’s 100M as she nearly outdid her personal best running 13.45 and finishing 31st out of 48.
– Facey returned to the VisitJax track a little over two hours later and ran again the first round of the 400m Hurdles.
– Facey finished 44th with a time of 1:02.91 in the 400 Hurdles.
Sydney Horn on her Final Jump: “I went up a pole for my last jump so I knew that I could make it. I just told myself to go when I was going through it and then when I knew was over I was like yes, I felt relieved, there was no more pressure.”
Horn on heading to Eugene, her second National Championship appearance in one academic year.
“I’m pretty excited to finish off my season in Eugene and get to some more good jumps in against really good competition there.”
Who will You see on Day 3?
Competing tomorrow (May 28th) for HPU on Day 3 of the NCAA East Preliminary Championships will be two Panther Men. Chris Van Niekerk returns to Hodges Stadium to throw the Discus at 1:30 PM as he will be the first Panther in action on the day. Hocine Bouchrak will be the first distance runner to touch the track for HPU this week as Bouchrak runs in the 3000M Steeplechase at 6:10 PM.