UNCG Women’s Basketball Faces Florida in Final Road Contest of 2022
GREENSBORO, N.C. – The UNC Greensboro’s (UNCG) women’s basketball team concludes a three-game road trip with its second SEC opponent in the Florida Gators (10-1) on Sunday, December 18 with a tip-off at 2 p.m.
Where: Exactech Arena at Stephen C. O’Connell Center | Gainesville, Fla.
When: Sunday, December 18
Time: 2 p.m.
Tickets: Purchase tickets here
LAST TIME OUT
· The Spartans filled the stat sheet in a non-conference road win over Stetson, 65-58, Thursday morning at the Edmunds Center.
· Akira Wiggins led the game with 18 points, while Faith Price was second with 17 points. Both were season highs.
· The Spartans shot 42.6-percent in field goals, which outmatched the Hatters’ 31.6-percent.
· UNCG also shot 26.1 percent from behind the arc, compared to Stetson’s 9.1-percent.
· The Spartans went on a 15-4 run to start the fourth quarter during a 3:11 span.
· Khalis Cain contributed eight points, six rebounds, three assists, two blocks, and matched her career-best of five steals.
SCOUTING THE SPARTANS
· UNCG is leading the conference in blocks per game (3.4), steals per game (8.4), and turnovers forced per game (19.45).
· The Spartans are second in the SoCon three-point attempts per game (24.0), and turnover margin (2.73).
· Among the nation, UNCG is 59th in three-point attempts per game (24.0), 60th in offensive rebounds per game (14.0), and 68th in turnovers forced per game (19.45).
· Cain leads the Spartans with 4.6 offensive rebounds per game, which is fifth in the nation.
· She is also 18th in total blocks (20), 21st in rebounds (105), 35th in blocks per game (1.82), and 36th in rebounds per game (9.5). She leads the conference in all five categories.
· Price is 10th in the nation in three-point attempts (88), 21st in three pointers (30), 48th in three pointers per game (2.73).
· The Gators claimed their most impressive win of the season, a 76-73 overtime win at Miami.
· Florida is in the midst of a 21-game home winning streak with nonconference competition, dating back to the 2019-20 season.
· The Gators’ 10-1 record is their best start to a season since the 2015-16 campaign, when they opened 12-1.
· Florida is outscoring opponents 75.8-61.6.
· The Gators are also outrebounding opponents 42.5-35.9.
· Leilani Correa is leading the team, averaging 16.0 points per game.
· Nina Rickards is averaging 6.4 rebounds per game, to lead the game.
· KK Deans boasts a .464 three-point percentage to lead the Gators, which is 41st in the nation.
· The Gators are 14th in the nation in winning percentage (90.9), 16th in free throws made per game (16.73), 20th in free throw attempts per game (23.18), 38th in turnovers forced per game (20.73), 44th in rebounds per game (42.45), 46th in offensive rebounds per game (14.5).
· Virginia University Lynchburg awaits the Spartans when UNCG returns home Wednesday, December 21 to start a two-game home stand surrounding Christmas.
· UNCG faces Lenoir-Rhyne Friday, December 30 at 7 p.m. to finish the 2022 calendar year and its 2022-23 non-conference schedule.
· The Spartans will open SoCon play on the road, facing Mercer on January 5 at 7 p.m.
· UNCG hosts Furman on January 12 at 7 p.m. to open home conference play.
SERIES HISTORY/LAST MATCHUP
· UNCG and Florida meet for the first time on Sunday.
Courtesy of Denise Archetto
Assistant Athletic Director For Strategic Communications