UNCG Softball Announces 2023 Schedule
GREENSBORO, N.C. – The UNC Greensboro (UNCG) softball team and head coach Janelle Breneman announce a full slate of games for the 2023 season.
UNCG, the reigning 2022 Southern Conference (SoCon) Regular Season Champions, will play a variety of teams this season including teams from 12 different conferences. The Spartans will face Duke, Clemson, Campbell, UNCW, and Notre Dame who all competed in the 2022 NCAA Tournament. Both Duke and Clemson advanced to the NCAA Super Regionals.
“Our fall season was filled with growth and progress,” stated Coach Breneman. “This group of Spartans is determined to continue to develop as a unit. We had a program record setting team GPA of 3.68 this past fall. This again is a testament to the dedication of our student-athletes. We are all looking forward to the challenges and preparation in this upcoming preseason. Fortunately, we return two seasoned super seniors, Delaney Cumbie and Samantha Lagrama. I am thrilled they can return for a deserving full year, and they are two of the best mentors that have been in this program.
“I am excited about our upcoming season and our schedule by design will be challenging. The SoCon is an extremely competitive softball conference, so we have put together a strong non-conference schedule to help prepare our team. We will be eager to take the field opening weekend in Florida. We have a strong home schedule which will allow our fans to watch us compete against some of the best. We can’t wait to see all of you out this spring cheering us on.”
· 17 regular season matches: 30 home & 25 away
· Non-conference opponents’ breakdown: ACC (5), CAA (4), Big South (4), NEC (1), America East (2), ASUN (2), The Valley (1), Ohio Valley (1), Big East (1), Big Ten (1), Patriot (1), C-USA (1)
· UNCG hosts three tournaments: The Spiro Classic (February 18-19), UNCG Invitational (February 24-26), and Spartan Classic (March 17-18).
· The Spartans will travel to Fort Myers, Florida to compete in the FGCU Kickoff Classic (February 10-12) to begin the season.
· The Spartans will host its home opener with ACC opponent, the Virginia Cavaliers, on February 16.
· After falling in the ACC Championship game, Virginia continued its postseason schedule in the National Invitational Softball Championship in Fort Collins, Colorado.
· UNCG will host UNCW during the Spiro Classic. The Seahawks won its first-ever CAA Tournament Title earning an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament and falling twice in the Clemson Regional.
· The Spartans travel to Clemson, South Carolina for the Clemson Classic to face Clemson, who received a No. 10 ranking for the NCAA Tournament, hosted a NCAA Regional, and appeared in the program’s first NCAA Super Regional. UNCG will also play Jacksonville and Bryant.
· Following the tournament in Clemson, UNCG will host Notre Dame for a midweek battle. The Irish, who were ranked 18th, earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament and played in the Evanston Regional.
· SoCon play begins March 25-26, when the Spartans host ETSU.
· UNCG will mix in a few non-conference opponents during the SoCon slate, including North Carolina and Charlotte at home, and Radford and Duke away. The Blue Devils played in its first NCAA Super Regional in program history, after hosting a regional and earning its second bid.
· The SoCon Softball Tournament will take place from May 10-13 in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Courtesy of Denise Archetto
Assistant Athletic Director For Strategic Communications