UNCG Men’s Basketball Matches Up with Mercer on Thursday
GREENSBORO, N.C. – The UNC Greensboro (UNCG) men’s basketball team hits the road for the first time in 19 days to face Southern Conference (SoCon) foe Mercer in Hawkins Arena on Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
The Bears enter the contest 11-12 overall and 4-6 in SoCon play, while the Spartans are 14-9 overall record and 8-2 in conference play.
Where: Hawkins Arena | Macon, Ga.
When: Thursday, February 2
Time: 7 p.m.
LAST TIME OUT
Furman defeated UNCG, 69-57, at the Greensboro Coliseum to split the series on Sunday.
Mohammed Abdulsalam scored a career-high 23 points in the game.
He also contributed eight rebounds for a team high.
Abdulsalam went 9-for-10 in field goals and 5-for-7 in free throws.
Dante Treacy tallied seven points and six assists.
The Spartans had 42 points inside the paint, compared to the Paladins’ 28.
SCOUTING THE SPARTANS
UNCG is leading the conference in field goal percentage defense (40.0), scoring defense (63.5), three-point percentage defense (30.5), and turnover margin (2.2).
Among the nation, the Spartans are 28th in field goal percentage defense, 37th in scoring defense, 44th in three point percentage defense, 60th in turnover margin, 78th in assist/turnover ratio (1.20),
In the nation, Kobe Langley is 31st in assist/turnover margin (2.62), 33rd in steals (45), and 57th in steals per game (1.96).
His twin brother, Keyshaun Langley is also ranked in the nation: 39th in three-point percentage (40.7), 56th in total three-point field goals made (59), 69th in steals (40), 85th in three pointers per game (2.57).
The Spartans are outscoring opponents, 69.9-63.5, and outrebounding their foes 36.2-34.5.
Keyshaun (13.4), Keondre Kennedy (12.5), and Brown-Jones (10.8) are leading the Spartans in points per game.
Abdulsalam (6.2) and Kennedy (6.1) are leading the team in rebounds per game.
· Head Coach Mike Jones earned his 200th career win as a head coach on Wednesday, January 4 with the win over Chattanooga at the Greensboro Coliseum.
· He had 174 wins with Radford and currently has 28 victories with the Spartans.
· Kennedy scored his 1,000 career point during the first half in a 88-80 victory against Furman on Jan. 14 in Greenville, S.C.
· Keyshaun scored his 1,000 career point during the first half of a 62-50 win over VMI at the Greensboro Coliseum.
Mercer is coming off back-to-back wins against ETSU, 71-67, and The Citadel, 74-65.
The Bears have won four of the last five games.
They are outscoring opponents 70.3 to 68.3.
Jayln McCreary is leading the Bears with 15.3 points per game, while Kamar Robertson is averaging 12.0 points per game.
McCreary is also leading the team with 5.7 rebounds per game.
McCreary is 11th in the nation in field goals (163) and 45th in field goal percentage (56.6), which is first and second, respectively in the conference.
In the nation, the Bears are 40th in turnovers per game (11.2), 63rd in assist/turnover ratio (1.23), and 81st in bench points per game (23.48).
UNCG will face The Citadel on Saturday, Feb. 4 in Charleston, S.C.
Following the road series, the Spartans will host ETSU on Tuesday, February 7 at 7:00 p.m. This game will be broadcast on ESPNU.
It will also be the Gold Rush game, where the first 1,000 students will receive a FREE t-shirt.
They then host Wofford on Sunday, February 12 for a 3:00 p.m. contest.
· UNCG leads the all-time series, 12-9
· The Spartans defeated the Bears 59-48 12 days ago on January 21, 2023 at the Greensboro Coliseum.
· Mercer won both games last season, 58-49 (Jan. 15), and 73-64 (Feb. 13).
· Prior to the two games last season, the Spartans were on a seven-game win streak against the Bears dating back to the 2018-19 season.
Courtesy of Denise Archetto
Assistant Athletic Director For Strategic Communications