Whitney Knight(Bishop McGuinness/Winston-Salem Reynolds HS) and Trumae Lucas(Grimsley HS) have seen their current college coaches in women’s basketball come into key consideration, for NCAA Coach of the Year….Whitney is averaging 8.0 points per game for the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles and Turmae is posting 6 points per game, for the Delaware Fightin Blue Hens…..Whitney’s FGCU team is (25-2) overall and Trumae’s Blue Hens are (26-1)….
Take a look at their teams and how their coaches have done when you see below…..from ESPN.com:
• Florida Gulf Coast’s Karl Smesko: He has the Eagles soaring in the first season they are eligible for the Division I NCAA tournament. They are 25-2 overall and 17-0 in the Atlantic Sun.
• Delaware’s Tina Martin, whose Fightin Blue Hens are (26-1) and (17-0) in the CAA…
• UTEP’s Keitha Adams: The Miners are 25-2 overall and 14-0 in Conference USA.
• Green Bay’s Matt Bollant: Another coach hit by graduation, the Phoenix are 14-1 in the Horizon League and 24-1 overall.
• DePaul’s Doug Bruno: Few coaches have lost as many players to injury this season — including star Keisha Hampton — as Bruno. Yet the Blue Demons are 20-8 and still in the upper half of the Big East.
• Gonzaga’s Kelly Graves: Courtney Vandersloot has gone to the WNBA, but the Bulldogs are atop the West Coast Conference again at 13-2 and are 24-4 overall.
• Penn State’s Coquese Washington: In a difficult year for her university, she has led the Lady Lions to their first Big Ten regular-season title since 2004.
And if the ESPN.com guy had to vote right now, the winner would be …
Tina Martin, whose Delaware team has maintained its chemistry and its success thus far.