GREENSBORO, N.C. – Guilford College’s men’s tennis team did not drop a set in a convincing 9-0 victory over visiting Maryville (Tenn.) College Sunday.
The Quakers improved to 4-4 with their second win in as many days.
Tyler Mercier took a 6-3, 6-3 decision over the Tigers’ Zach Clark at first singles and teamed with Clayton Hamilton (Greensboro, N.C./Page (Greensboro)) for an 8-4 first doubles triumph. Rookie Turner Votipka took down Jimmy Fulton, 6-3, 6-2 at second singles and teamed with Colin Rapp for an 8-0 second doubles win. Hamilton (3rd singles) and Rapp (4th singles) were also two-time winners Sunday.
Guilford hosts Washington (Md.) College Tuesday at 3:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Maryville (Tenn.) vs Guilford
Mar 11, 2012 at Greensboro, NC
McMichael Centennial Class Courts
Guilford – 9
Maryville (Tenn.) – 0
1. Tyler Mercier (GC) def. Zach Clark (MC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Turner Votipka (GC) def. Jimmy Fulton (MC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Clayton Hamilton (GC) def. Tyler Odle (MC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Colin Rapp (GC) def. Jordan Keller (MC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Blake Brown (GC) def. Tony Gill (MC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Byron Hamilton (GC) def. Austin Canfield (MC) 7-5, 6-2
1. Tyler Mercier/Clayton Hamilton (GC) def. Zach Clark/Jimmy Fulton (MC) 8-4
2. Colin Rapp/Turner Votipka (GC) def. Tyler Odle/Jordan Keller (MC) 8-0
3. Mark Cheong/Ben Nelson (GC) def. Austin Canfield/Tony Gill (MC) 8-0
Maryville (Tenn.) 1-5