Local/area division one girls basketball players are making their mark and helping their respective teams either as starters or reserves:
1. North Carolina ( 11-2) Megan Buckland: (Bishop McGuinness) non starter averaged 1.0 ppg and 1 rpg before injuring knee.
2. North Carolina A&T (8-2) Christina Carter (Thomasville/VCU) A starter who has helped A&T get off to a great start averging 12.5 ppg, 3.4 rpg and 66% from the charity stripe. Playing 31 minutes per game: Kenya Hailey (Southeast Guilford) has saw spot duty in 6 games 66% ft and 1.5 ppg. Mia Rudd played 3 minutes thus far during the season.
3. Winthrop (8-3) Ronata Rogers (Greensboro Day) non starter whom averages 1.5 minutes per game and 1.3 rpg.
4. Stonybrook (8-4) Miranda Jenkins (Eastern Guilford) A starter averages 26 minutes per game. Leads team with 94.1% free throw 4.6 ppg and 3.8 rpg. Leads team in block shots and has help team to its greatest start in division one basketball history. Has battled back from knee injury sustain in freshmen year. Team had the Nation’s seventh best turn around during the 2012-2013 basketball season.
5. Campbell (8-4) Amanda Coffer(Northern Guilford) non starter that has provided added depth. 54% ft with 4.2 rpg and 1.4 bpg. Plays 15 minutes per game. Jessica Pone (Southwest Guilford) has not crack the starting line up in her sophomore year but provides 3.4 ppg and 1.1 rpg in 8 minutes of play in the games that she has appeared.
6. Gardner Webb ( 7-5) Catina Green ( Western Guilford) A starter at the post that average 16 ppg , 11 rpg and 66% ft. Plays 28 minutes per game. Looking to help Gardner Webb improve this year in overall record.
7.Florida Gulf Coast (6-6) Whitney Knight (Reynolds) A starter playing 24 minutes per game and averaging 12.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg and 73% ft. Battled back from knee injury after seeing significant time as a freshmen during the 2012-2013 season. Team is off to a slower start than previous years.
8. High Point University (6-6) Lindsey Puckett (Rockingham) A starter and reserve that averages 6.5 ppg and 1.8 rpg. Plays 20 minutes per game.Provides outside shooting in HPU system
9. South Carolina Upstate (5-7) (Brittany Clency) Has started in 5 games and used in a reserve role at 23 minutes per game. Averages 8.2 ppg and shoots 52% from the charity stripe. Team is looking to improve by at least 5 games this year.
10. Elon (5-8) Samantha Coffer (Northern Guilford) A starter averaging 7.9 ppg and 6.5 rpg in 23 minutes. Shooting 76% from charity stripe. Lanaira Ruffin (Rivermill Academy) Has played well coming off the bench with one start at 5.8 ppg, 3.7 rpg and 40% from the charity stripe. Autumn Carter (Rockingham) Non starter whom provides a nice inside presence. 16 minutes per game with 6.2 ppg and 3.2 rpg and 69% free throw.
11. Asheville (5-8) Brittany Gwynn (High Point Central) A starter playing 32 minutes per game. Averages 10 ppg and shoots 86% from free throw line. Team is improving.
12. UNCG (4-9) Breonna Patterson (Dudley) A reserve that is playing 25 minutes per game. Averages 9.9 ppg and 2.5 rpg and shhots 75% from charity stripe. Team needs to get on a roll to improve over last year.
13. Radford (2-11) Kierra McIvor (Dudley) A starter whom plays 30 minutes per game. Averages 6.4 ppg and 61% free throw. Team is on an eleven game losing streak and only have wins against division two and three teams.