CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Elon University men’s tennis team, ranked No. 46 in the country, dropped its first match of the season Friday, Jan. 25, in the ITA Kickoff Weekend tournament 10-0 to the No. 1-ranked Virginia Cavaliers on the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
Elon hung with the Cavaliers in the doubles portion of the match, but each Virginia duo edged out the Phoenix to win the doubles point.
Robert Lindgren and Brian Kowalski were the first Elon pairing to fall, as the duo of Mitchell Frank and Luca Corinteli picked up the 6-3 win. Mac Styslinger and Thai-Son Kwiatkowski finished off the doubles point for the Cavaliers by topping Juan Madrid and Jordan Kaufman at No. 3 doubles.
Though the point had already been won, Cameron Silverman and Stefan Fortmann finished out their match on court No. 1 against Alex Domijan and Justin Shane. Silverman and Fortmann forced a tiebreaker, but Domijan and Shane proved too strong and won the match 6-5(2).
Turning to the singles portion, the Cavaliers held strong and defeated each Elon player in straight sets.
Silverman, ranked No. 25 in the nation, battled Frank, the No. 3 player in the country, to a tiebreaker in the second set on court No. 1, but Frank held off Silverman to win 6-2, 6-5(4).
Kowalski was the other Elon player to battle to a tiebreaker in the second set, but the junior couldn’t get a break on Shane and fell 6-4, 6-5(7).
Elon returns to the courts tomorrow afternoon at 2 p.m. to face Southern Conference-rival Samford at 2 p.m. in a rematch of the 2013 SoCon Tournament championship match in which the Bulldogs won 4-3. Samford, ranked No. 65 in the country, fell to No. 56 Indiana earlier Friday in the first match of the tournament. The match will not count as a SoCon match. Samford visits Elon on March 8 as part of the SoCon schedule.
#1 Virginia 10, #46 Elon 0
1. #3 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. #25 Cameron Silverman (Elon) 6-2, 6-5(4)
2. Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Stefan Fortmann (Elon) 6-2, 6-4
3. Ryan Shane (UVa) def. Robert Lindgren (Elon) 6-2, 6-3
4. #115 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Brian Kowalski (Elon) 6-4, 6-5(7)
5. #94 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. Jordan Kaufman (Elon) 6-3, 6-1
6. #43 Jordan Daigle (UVa) def. Juan Madrid (Elon) 6-0, 6-1
7. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Ismael Sanchez (Elon) 6-0, 6-2
8. Luca Corinteli (UVa) def. Dan Sablik (Elon) 6-1, 6-2
9. Harrison Richmond (UVa) def. Chris Geaslen (Elon) 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6,7,9,5,8,3,2,1,4
1. Domijan/J.Shane (UVa) def. Silverman/Fortmann (Elon) 6-5(2)
2. Frank/Corinteli (UVa) def. Lindgren/Kowalski (Elon) 6-3
3. Styslinger/Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Madrid/Kaufman (Elon) 6-4
Order of Finish: 2,3,1