RADFORD, Va. – The Elon University men’s tennis team earned its ninth win of the season on Wednesday, March 17 when it defeated Radford 5-2.
“With some new guys playing, we knew it would be a tough match,” said head coach Michael Leonard. “I’m really proud of how our guys competed and came back today and to see the grit that Kyle and Camilo showed late.”
-Kyle Frankel and Camilo Ponce clinched the doubles point with a 6-4 victory over Demis Taramonlis and Andres Silva in the No. 2 spot.
-In No. 1 doubles, Chung-Han Tsai and Akram El Sallaly earned a 6-2 victory over Guilherme Severin and Yevhen Sirous.
-Kyle Frankel rallied from being down 2-5 against Sirous in No. 1 singles to earn a 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3) victory and clinch the match for the Phoenix.
-In No. 2 singles, Akram El Sallaly earned a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Taramonlis.
-Camilo Ponce delivered a 7-5, 2-6, 6-3 victory over Severin in the No. 3 spot.
-Chung-Han Tsai defeated Konstantinos Raptis in the No. 4 spot for his second singles victory of the season, 6-2, 6-2.
-With the win, Elon improves to 9-2 on the season.
Elon will host Longwood at Jimmy Powell Tennis Center on Tuesday, March 23 at 2:00 p.m.
1. Chung-Han Tsai / Akram El Sallaly (ELON) def. Guilherme Severin / Yevhen Sirous (RAD) 6-2
2. Kyle Frankel / Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Demis Taramonlis / Andres Silva (RAD) 6-4
3. Kostantinos Raptis / William Crane (RAD) def. Sam Dively / Jacob Bicknell (ELON) 6-3
1. Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Yevhen Sirous (RAD) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Akram El Sallaly (ELON) def. Demis Taramonlis (RAD) 6-4, 6-2
3. Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Guilherme Severin (RAD) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
4. Chung-Han Tsai (ELON) def. Konstantinos Raptis (RAD) 6-2, 6-2
5. Andres Silva (RAD) def. Ben Zipay (ELON) 6-3, 6-2
6. Aditya Balsekar (RAD) def. Jacob Bicknell (ELON) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: Doubles: (1, 3, 2); Singles: (5, 4, 2, 6, 1, 3)